New Owner of 2003 FV 342 Batteries question

RinkerLifeRinkerLife Member Posts: 5
To Open, I have learned a tremendous amount from this website and everyone's knowledge in a very short time.  I have not had the FV 342 very long (July2020).  When purchased the batteries were replaced by the owner/dealer of the boat.  I have a cockpit refrigerator, ice maker and galley refrigerator.  When anchored and on only battery power it seems like galley refrigerator freeze will start to thaw causing condensation in the unit.  What is property way to manage the DC panel to (1) one keep this from happening and (2) not killing the battery for start up.
Post edited by raybo3 on

Comments

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Welcome!

The starting batteries are separate from the house batteries so you don't have to worry about killing your starter batteries.

It sounds like you might have an issue with your galley fridge when running on DC power; check the seal and check for any error lights on the thermostat control.  Which brand/model fridge do you have?  Other basics like ensure you have the house battery switch turned on.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like your fridge is not getting DC power. First thing to do for both fridges is confirm they work with shore power off. Just turn off main power on the panel but leave dc main switch on. The fridges should still run, you can hear the compressor and dan running. And lights should still come on in the fridges assuming the lights still work. Running both fridges for 4 hours on the hook should be no problem. Your ice maker is ac only so it will only cool and make nice on shore power or generator power. Welcome!!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Forum and congrats on the new to you boat. Take a little time and poke around with a volt meter. You should have 4 batteries, 2 house, 1 port, 1 starboard. The house and helm are on the 2 house batteries these are isolated away from the start batteries. The gauge on the panel reads the house current. I have a 12 cigarette lighter gauge at the helm for a easy reference. As far as the galley fridge going to have pull it out to verify that you have 12 volt power.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The galley frig on my 342 is AC only. 

From the factory the cockpit frig was DC only and had to add the AC converter. 🙄 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The galley frig on my 342 is AC only. 

From the factory the cockpit frig was DC only and had to add the AC converter. 🙄 
    WTF?!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Must have changed over time, on my 06 342 both fridges were AC/DC and came from the factory that way. The model numbers on both units tied to AC/DC.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• 342_Long342_Long Member Posts: 17
    I had the same boat. The galley fridge ran on both ac and dc. You will need to check that you have danfoss module in the back of the fridge. If so check it has a dc input. 
    Control Module 101N0212 For Danfoss/Secop BD35F And BD50F Compressors

Pau Hana

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @YYZRC. I said the same thing once I figured it out. 🙄. Even called Rinker while under warranty year 1...said yup, that’s how it was. Was confused as I had an AC and DC breaker for the cockpit frig. Even the outlet for the frig. Just no plug. 😂. 

One of these days I might upgrade the galley frig/freezer. Or get a bigger boat. 😊

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • RinkerLifeRinkerLife Member Posts: 5
    Thank you to all👌