Smart tabs

bnubb8420bnubb8420 Member Posts: 4
Where would I put smart tabs on my 1990 186 Captiva? I've heard you can't put them on a angled transom and they have to be 10 inches from drain plug  so where?......

Comments

• 69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 948 ✭✭✭
    Email nauticus and ask them. 
  • bnubb8420bnubb8420 Member Posts: 4
    He was vague in the emails
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    Are you having a listing issue or getting on plane issue?

• Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Here is how mine were mounted on my 19foot 96 Mariah. They definitely help with bow rise and slow speed wander. I would have moved them out to flat spot between the chine and the lifting strake but put them there to avoid sloped part of the transom and swim ladder. The further out they are the more leverage, the more effective they are.   I agree with @69fastbackthat your should contact Nauticus for advise on how to mount yours. They were very helpful when dealt with them.
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    not the best picture, but.... 

and low speed wander is where it's at and why i love these things.  i can't tell you they help at all with planing, and it's not like i have an issue getting on step anyway with that 357 and that 5 bladed Ron Hill Marine prop... 

and.... God I'm happy to have gotten rid of that trailer... a guy made it into a mobile pig cooker... it serves a much higher purpose in that capacity. 
    Yeah I think I should contact them again and see what they say because there has to be a way 
  • Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a Four Winns boat with smart tabs, and they were highly ineffective!  Save your money and buy real trim tabs.  I have Lenco's on my Rinker, and they are night and day wayyyyyy better than smart tabs. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    These are not Smart Tabs and not a 186 but you can put tabs on an angled transom. These are Bennett tabs on a 232.

Contact Bennett.  Both inboards ive owned have wondered at idle/trolling speeds without tabs fully or near fully deployed.

Bennett tech is amazing and so is their customer service.  

edited August 2020
    Lake_Bum said:
    I had a Four Winns boat with smart tabs, and they were highly ineffective!  Save your money and buy real trim tabs.  I have Lenco's on my Rinker, and they are night and day wayyyyyy better than smart tabs. 
    They work great on my 232. Practically eliminated bow rise, planes at a much slower speed, better low speed handling, only takes 1/2 throttle to get on plane with a half full load, smoothed out the ride......... well worth the low cost. Sure, a set of Lenco or Bennett’s will be better, as they should for 10X the cost. The smart tabs are an effective, affordable alternative. 
    These are not Smart Tabs and not a 186 but you can put tabs on an angled transom. These are Bennett tabs on a 232.

That’s exactly how my smart tabs are mounted on my 232, per the nauticus tech support. 
    Thanks guys. I think I'm going to order them. I mean anything got to be better.
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the idea of trying to get them on a horizontal plane is that they might be a little easier to control. But even angled as shown above they'll help. The trick with tans is small adjustments. Just a little nudge and wait a few seconds. Adjust again as needed. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    Permatrim hydrafoil and other hydrofoils with the little wings might help to lift the stern and bite the water at idle no wake speeds.  

It will never ride like a keeled inboard boat or displacement hull where they seemingly ride on rails no matter the speed.