Options

Faria dual engine guage set for sale

davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭
Have a set of guages for sale if anyone wants them. I was thinking $100 plus shipping for the set. I also have the syncronizer that isnt pictured. Only used for one year.
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great deal for someone!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭✭
    Sure would be. Question - how would one reset the hours meters to actual of the target vessel based on the ECM logged number?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    I did a little research on it. The answer is you need a friend with a sign wave generator. 
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    icoultha said:
    Sure would be. Question - how would one reset the hours meters to actual of the target vessel based on the ECM logged number?
    You can't.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    @DanD2 I haven't personally done it but i do think it is possible.  I have a neighbor that is an electronics nut and he was going to do it for me.  The research i did lead me to a guy that posted the following "There are two basic types of hour meters, maybe more, but I am only writing about the two basic types of hour meters. First is the standard hour meter which runs like a clock. Connect it to 12V, or whatever voltage it is designed for, and it will increase the hours.
    The second type is an hour meter which reads square wave pulses from the motors alternator or ECM module. I am concentrating on a Tachometer with Hour meter built in. (I have a Faria Euro 7000 rpm Tachometer with hour meter) This type of instrument reads the pulses in a square wave form and shows the rpm of the motor. The hour meter also reads these pulses and only runs when the motor is running.
    Here is the dilemma. How do I add hours to this type of hour meter without running the motor? Well the answer is, you need an external Square Waive Pulse generator. I found one, it is a TOOGOO Square Wave Signal Generator NE555 Pulse module. This module runs from 5-15 volts DC. Cost was $3.25 with free shipping on Amazon.com. Other vendors sell this item.
    Here is the hookup that works for me. There is a little rectangular box with three screws in it. One is VCC, GRND, OUT. VCC is the Positive + Terminal, GRD is the Negative - (ground) terminal, and OUT is the Signal out terminal. I connected a red wire to the VCC, Black to GRD, and Green to OUT. I clipped the Red wire to the Positive 12V of the battery and the Black to a common ground -. The Green I connected to the SIG post of the Tachometer. I connected a jumper to the Positive + of the Tachometer also. This powered up the instruments with having the motor on. The TOOGOO Square Wave Signal Generator NE555 Pulse module has a jumper on it to change the frequency of the pulses. I found that the second set of posts from the right, if looking down from the top, with the wire block on the bottom, produces a pulse which read 1000 RPM on the Tachometer and the little hour glass, which shows the hour meter is working, is spinning. My old hour meter read 102.5 hours, so I let it run for that time and did not need to run the motor. I have not had any problems with this setup. If anyone else has a better suggestion let us know."   Other people posted that they did it by hooking up a 9 volt battery.   The whole post can be found here  https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/684623-adding-hours-hour-meter.html
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    @davidbrooks, yes, I have heard of this. Certainly can be done but it really is not practical. If your engine has 700 hrs and the new used gage has lets just say 200, then you need to run this for 20 days. What if you motor only has 200 and the new used gage reads 500, gonna need to keep that plugged in for quite a while.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    Hey i didn't say it was easy....just that it was possible.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Just wondering......... An analog hour meter is nothing but a small D/C motor, what if you reversed polarity would the timer go backwards????????? Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has an indicator if you reverse the polarity. Easier to just leave it disconnected. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    jc0928jc0928 Member Posts: 1
    Are these Guages still available?
  • Options
    Just reminding everyone they are available.
  • Options
    One more time to see if anyone is interested.
  • Options
    skyman2112skyman2112 Member Posts: 21
    i could really use the tach are they still available?
  • Options
    @skyman2112 sorry they are sold.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you buy a used tach your hours will display what the used tach says. I have one available if interested.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was surprised that my hours showed 0 when I replaced with new. I thought they were 100% tracked by the computer.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    @aero3113 i was also but the more i read it became clear it was simply an electrical pulse. So just reiterates the need to connect up a scan tool to engines when purchasing. The only way you get the actual info is if you have gone digital with a merc monitor or similar approach.