Waco fridge door handle

Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
So, we are out on our 10 day trip.  The handle on the galley fridge has gotten quite fragile.  One plastic clip on the bar behind the handle has broke.  Anyone know if pieces can be bought? Or does it need a whole new door?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Comments

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to purchase the entire door. I just had to do that for my cockpit fridge. I got the door through Annapolis CruiseAir. Great vender to deal with. Very poor design on that door. GLS might have one that size. https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/rinker-258176d-waeco-silver-marine-boat-replacement-refrigerator-door-assembly
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Thanks Greg, that is what I'm afraid of.  I might just wait until after the season and figure it out over winter.  I think we'll be able to work it at least short term for now.  

Anyone have any old doors or pieces??

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Switch the hinge to the left side and the broken handle won’t be very relevant. It’s more ergonomic that way anyway, assuming your galley layout is similar to the 330 (fridge to the far left)

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
    Before replacing my door, I removed the door and used some small wire ties to "extend" the life of the door. I drilled some small holes in the plastic and looped the ties around the metal rail. It worked for about 3 seasons until it finally crapped the bed last fall. I ordered mine over the winter, but it got hung up with the Covid problems shipping it from overseas. I am not sure if there are still any shipping issues, but that is something to consider. 
    Go Steelers!!!
    Great ideas guys!  I had thought about switching sides, but I don't like the fact that if the fridge opened while under way it would swing wide open.  I believe that is the reason it opens the way it does.

Greg, I think I will give what you are saying a try.  I  may wait until off season for now, so I  don't have to shut fridge off. If you have any pics of that mod, send them my way.

You can see the black wire tie in the first picture. If you remove the handle assembly, you can work on the mod very easily. There are screws under the door seal that allows for the handle removal. 
    Go Steelers!!!
    Thanks @Cableguy Greg .  I will plan to do that this fall or winter. Hopefully it saves some boat bucks for later.

Well, I did the temporary fix as Greg mentioned.  Fridge handle feels like new!  Thanks Greg!

• GMDocGMDoc Member Posts: 4
    Hey everyone, Just so you know, I have a new handle in the box to fit that fridge.  I bought it for my fridge, but it is the smaller model, the CR-1065.  So this handle I have fits a CR-1110.  My total investment in this thing is $75 so if I get that plus shipping, I'm happy to send it to whoever wants it.  The handle I have is black.  Also, if anyone out there has a handle for a CR-1065 let me know.  :)

But I will be trying the cable tie fix for now.  Great info, thanks.
    2008 260 EC
    Buckhorn Lake, Ontario, Canada