Options

Winterizing AC

YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
For my old boat, I left winterizing to the marina. Last year I stored indoors and heated so no issue. This year the old girl is going to get chilly. 

I am going to tackle the water system and AC winterizing myself. I remember reading about someone adding a tee at the AC thru hull to draw in antifreeze. Could someone please point me to the tee that I need? Thanks!
2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat idea. I just pull the hose off the thru hull, stick a funnel in the hose and pour antifreeze in the funnel after the admiral turns the system on and it gets pumping. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    edited September 2020
    For some reason I think it might have been @reneechris14 who did this tweak. I like the idea of being able to do it solo. 
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I always just run antifreeze through it backwards.   Valve side in the pink bottle of antifreeze, exit side of hose in the hole on the side of the boat with some tape around it, https://www.amazon.com/Just-Shake-Flow-Siphon-Hose/dp/B00BNTZD54. takes 5 mins or less.. usually run 2 gallons through it on a 270
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I have the Camco winterizing kit so it would be easy to adapt a hose as you’ve posted above. I guess the benefit to backfilling is not needing 120v power. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    yeah, makes it super easy.. just wrap some tape around the end of the hose to make it match the size of the AC exit hole. 

First I flush it with a regular water hose... to get the salt out... then it's easy to see when it changes from clear to pink coming out of the bottom of the boat.. 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    If you have a pump, just push antifreeze backwards through the outlet on the outside of the boat.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I don’t have a pump. Could buy one of course but was hoping to get away with gravity feed and the Camco
  • Options
    Yeah that'll work fine
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    I always just run antifreeze through it backwards.   Valve side in the pink bottle of antifreeze, exit side of hose in the hole on the side of the boat with some tape around it, https://www.amazon.com/Just-Shake-Flow-Siphon-Hose/dp/B00BNTZD54. takes 5 mins or less.. usually run 2 gallons through it on a 270

This is what I do, but I use a small bilge pump to force it through.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Same as @Cableguy Greg super easy
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    I do the reverse method too. I have a drill pump and the Campco kit and pump it through backwards until all pink comes out the bottom of the hull. We do store in an underground mine so no need to winterize but this year we pulled it mid-March and it got pretty cold after that so glad we winterized
  • Options
    Mercury2005Mercury2005 Member Posts: 141 ✭✭
    Here's what I did.
    New pump, new strainer, new fittings, new hose.
    Mounted all on a 1/4" thick starboard.
    Hose goes from thru hull ball valve to fitting at pump. Added a garden hose connection with cap, then filter then pump then to A/C.
    Close the thru hull ball valve, attach garden hose to fitting on pump, put other end of hose in bucket of anti-freeze, turn on A/C, when bucket is empty, done.
  • Options
    That is living room display worthy!
  • Options
    luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Just did mine in about 10 minutes. First I blew the water out of it by using my wet vac in reverse through the outlet hole. Then I bought this $10 pump at Home Depot and to pump antifreeze  through the outlet and down out to sea strainer. The pump hose fit the outlet hole perfectly. Very easy.  I’m pretty sure that’s all I need to do

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @luvinlife , you’re correct, that’s all you need to do.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I took the hose off my thru hull,  then stock a small hose extension into a jug of antifreeze.  I then plugged my circulation pump into a 110 drop cord.  I ran until pink shot out the thru hull.  Then I opened the bleeder valve and ran until the catch basin bilge turned on.  

• Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    As long as you got straight pink out the other end you should be good. I do mine the same way but use a pump that attaches to my drill and pump through the outlet thru hull