Dash Panel Lights

TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
This has been bothering me since we've had the boat:

Is there a way to have the dash panel lights (the Contura switches) illuminate without activating the Nav/Anc switch?

I don't like fumbling in the dark trying to see the switch faces to turn on the spreader lights, etc. - and think it's kinda dumb that you need to switch on the Nav or Anchor light to illuminate the switches.

Am I missing something - or is this the standard on Rinker?

Comments

• Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    That's how mine is. You could look into where the connection is to light up the switches and maybe wire something in for another switch just for the switches and panel. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Do you not have a separate dimmer switch for the panel lights? I’m pretty sure this will turn them on without using the Nav/Anchor light switch. I could be thinking this wrong though!

2008 330EC
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    aero3113 said:
    Do you not have a separate dimmer switch for the panel lights? I’m pretty sure this will turn them on without using the Nav/Anchor light switch. I could be thinking this wrong though!

Nope! That's what I thought - and it would be the logical process - but it doesn't work that way (at least on mine). Dimmer only works when the panel is on via the Nav/Anc switch.
    Aqua_Aura said:
    That's how mine is. You could look into where the connection is to light up the switches and maybe wire something in for another switch just for the switches and panel. 
    Thanks! That is an option, I just hate the idea of having to pull the dash and go fishing for wires. Was hoping there was an easier solution. 
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Did you replace your caps @TonyG13? If so where from?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    I forgot about the dimmer switch. Maybe you could wire it into that?
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I alway though Rinker should of put a switch by the back of the boat. I too come down at night unzip the back stumble through the cockpit uncover the gauges just to trun on the lights. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    I did that on my Bayliner years ago, handy to have but now if we are coming back in the dark I have under platform lights on

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• stuckmotostuckmoto Member Posts: 13
    Just stumbled across this thread...just picked up a 2003 270 a couple months ago. PO said the "panel lts" switch didn't do anything so never really messed with it. What exactly is it supposed to do? I'm planning on replacing the covers and possibly adjusting the layout of the switches - wondering if it is available for something else? It seems to be a three position switch.
    2003 270FV 350mag/B3
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @stuckmoto welcome to the forum.

When the lights are on, press the switch up and hold to make the helm lights brighter.  Press down and hold to make them dimmer. 

If your switch doesn't work, what probably happened is that the dimmer module got disconnected.  Check this thread for details:

https://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/comment/32323#Comment_32323
    edited October 2020
    LaRea said:

When the lights are on, press the switch up and hold to make the helm lights brighter.  Press down and hold to make them dimmer. 

Yup! Only took me two seasons to figure out that one that the nav/anc switch had to be on for that dimmer switch to also work!  :D
    LaRea said:
    @stuckmoto welcome to the forum.

If your switch doesn't work, what probably happened is that the dimmer module got disconnected.  Check this thread for details:

https://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/comment/32323#Comment_32323
    Thanks for the welcome and the info. I've been sifting through this forum since I bought it, just saving up a bunch of questions. Funny how the original owner didn't know what the switch did. Anyway...seems to be a waste of a switch, I might have to change that.
    2003 270FV 350mag/B3
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't get rid of it.  When cruising at night, dimming the lights will protect your night vision.  

Bring us your questions!
    LaRea said:
    I wouldn't get rid of it.  When cruising at night, dimming the lights will protect your night vision.  

Bring us your questions!
    Agreed. I rarely boat at night so I was thinking of relocating the dimmer control to a separate switch somewhere else on the helm and using the real-estate for a more useful switch.
    2003 270FV 350mag/B3