Rinker Fiesta Vee 342 with Yanmar Diesel Engines

mjmorrismjmorris Member Posts: 20
Is there anyone out there that has or has had a Rinker with twin Yanmar Diesel engines with Merc Bravo II sterndrives. Looking at buying this boat with diesels but would like some feedback on the Yanmar with sterndrives. Reliable?  Problems?

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No we don’t know anyone. Hahahah
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    Lol....leave it to handy!

I have a single screw 220 hp diesel on a bravo 2. A 2001 model attached to a 9000lbs boat.  Other than paint flaking off seems in great shape for what appears to be the original outdrive with near 900 hrs.  I think the foot oil is supposed to be changed every 50 hrs. Im only one season and half tank of fuel into ownership. My engine is heavy and slow compared to most yanmars.

Are your outdrives the regular bravo 2 or the bravo 2 x?  The X is the even beefier version of the already beefy bravo 2,   diesel motors approaching and well over 300 hp in heavy boats had a tendency to eat the standard bravo 2. 

What model are the yanmars?  

If maintained well the engines and drives will serve you well.  If not they cost a lot in repairs.  

Diesels cost much more to have worked on and may require a much longer distance traveled to do any repair.

edited October 2020
    They are the Bravo X drives. Yanmar 4LHA-STZP
    Not many people on this forum are pro diesel but handy and I would be plenty happy with that power plant and outdrive.  

Handy, did you have the big cows on your oil burner rinker?  

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Not many people on this forum are pro diesel but handy and I would be plenty happy with that power plant and outdrive.  

Handy, did you have the big cows on your oil burner rinker?  

Yes, he had them on there.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

edited October 2020
    Was a game changer on my single screw.  The yanmars are much lighter and more powerful, i would think they would be a mandatory upgrade if not already installed.  
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm all about diesel and my next boat will absolutely have diesels. I don't mind the gas on smaller boats but when it comes to bigger trawlers or boats meant for long trip with many hours a day then diesel definitely gets my vote!!

I have a 7.3 Ford and I have learned a lot about diesels with that engine I find it all very interesting. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    Diesel is best!   

VW used their 3.0 and 4.2 v6/v8s on mercruiser power plants for a while but then pulled out, i think the diesel gate had a lot to do with it.  

VW was the only one to complete with the power to weight ratio of the yanmar. 
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    [edit: deleted useless waste of electrons]   :D
    Post edited by LaRea on
  • mjmorrismjmorris Member Posts: 20
    Thanks everyone. 
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    I think you missed a thread @LaRea as @mjmorris has Handy’s boat now.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• dalekdalek Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    The 4LHA-STZP is a great engine. No belts or chains. Two engine oil pumps. No essential electrical systems, apart from the starter and fuel cut off. If you disconnect the alternator and batteries while it is running, it will keep going until it runs out of fuel.
    It will run after the magnetic neutron bomb
  • mjmorrismjmorris Member Posts: 20
    I think I’m really gonna like this boat can’t wait to pick it up tomorrow. 
    If you have not already done so get a tow boats membership before you take off.

Its much cheaper to hand over your membership card than it is to pay a tow bill.  

• Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes agree however check your insurance as it may cover it. I have Progressive and I have used their towing which was pain free, just call and they send a boat. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988

Its much cheaper to hand over your membership card than it is to pay a tow bill.  

Don’t need tow insurance with Diesels. 
  • earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭

Don’t need tow insurance with Diesels. 
    Just a respirator to fend off the fumes but with covid I suppose that respirator could do double duty