x

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2014 in Electrical Discussions
 x
Post edited by Michael T on

Comments

• TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we're talking 10ths of an amp it shouldn't be an issue at all. Go big while it's a fairly easy upgrade with the boat on the hard. It's a little weird talking about doing upgrades to a boat that hasn't seen the water yet but if you know they'll be less than what you want (and will keep you busy messin' about with that boat) then go for it.
    Good luck, Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

x

• jmoen438jmoen438 Member Posts: 98 ✭✭✭
    MT, I installed two Lumitec SeaBlaze 3 lights last year and they work great. They may completely cover the T3 footprint. Definitely pretty at night, especially up on plane.
    edited November 2014

x

• Nice and NaughtyNice and Naughty Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Here's a picture of our 282 Captiva with 4 SeaBlaze 3's. I get a lot of compliments on these things. They look great underway  :-c

N&N that looks really cool. Exactly the look I would like! So I'm guessing that the four SBs draw about 8 to 10 amps when on? I asume they don't make that much of a draw on your house battery or do you mainly use them when underway (alternator) or on shorepower.? Thanks for the pictures and comments. We're all jealous! BTW the 282 is a great sportboat! :-) MT

I'm adding two more this spring. My dock mate across from me has green ones, we definitely light up the end of the dock.
    MT, SeaBlaze says about 2 amps per light. I've never had a problem with them drawing my batteries down. When on the hook or floating, I'm running them on 2 deep cycle batteries + powering 4 amps for the stereo. I've had this combination running for hours and never had dead batteries. I do have an extra starting battery and booster just in case we get to crazy and forget about time. As soon as we get back to the dock I have to hook up to shore power and let the batteries recover overnight. 

Heres a picture of them out of the water. You can kind of see how they are mounted. Not the best view, but you get the idea. 

By the way we love our 282!! :-c
  • JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow nice setup with the custom arch, trailer, and radar. Did you install the lights yourself?

2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
    edited November 2014

x

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those would be sweet to have, not sure where I could mount them on my 342 though.  My main concern would be the growth on them covering them up, everything gets slimy by me.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    N&N, how do the end ones look at night so close to the waterline? My two are mounting like your middle ones and trying to figure out where to put two more.
    edited November 2014

x

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where did you mount them? My outdrive mounting is well tucked in and the areas outside are curved.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭

Michael T said:
    BD on my 310 I could lie on the swim platform and use a soft car wash brush with an extendable handle to reach under and down to clean off  my two T-3s. If I install the proper type, with lenses that shed - to some degree - marine growth, I have been told that the lenses stay clean far longer. MT
    Oh just get in the water and scrub them clean! I dont know about you guys but I pretty much scrub the water line anytime its nice enough to jump in.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
    J-13 - Thanks for the compliment. Yes, I installed the LED's myself. Makes my butthole pucker and hands start shaking every time I put holes in this thing. Drilled a 2 3/8" hole in the bottom to install a transducer for my Garmin. Didn't like doing that, but it worked out great. As far as the LED's, I measured and measured and kept on measuring inside and out trying not to get into anything structural before I started drilling. Thats the reason the outside LED's are mounted where they are. 

JM - The ones closest to the waterline are still under water even when she's not loaded down with coolers and all the crap my wife and her friends come aboard with. [-X Being so close to the waterline has no negative effect on them. They still shine bright!

MT - Good luck on your search for underwater LED's. For the money I paid for the SeaBlaze 3's, I have to say I'm happy with the choice I made. I know there are brighter and more fancy LED's on the market, But they are also more $$$$. :-c
    edited November 2014

x

edited November 2014

x

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used two of the Coastal Night Lights "DS" model on my 232. They made the rivers in Pittsburgh look great.

http://coastalnightlights.com/Gen3-UW-Lights.html
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    I've added two more to the stern and two on each side above the engine compartment vents. Can't wait to how it looks in the water!
    edited November 2014

x

• DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

This is what mine looks like.....underwater lights are from Coastal Night Lightsimage

No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
    edited November 2014

x

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just ordered 2 Coastal Night Lights DS lights in blue for my new to me 280EC. Chris is really easy to deal with and he stands behind his products.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!

I can now say that the boat pictured in my previous post is no longer ours. We just traded it in this morning for a 2005 Rinker 342. I won't be able to afford lighting it up as much as my Monterey....at least this year but will put some lights on it. I'll post pictures once she splashes in about 3 weeks.

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations! Good luck with it.
    2008 330EC
    edited November 2014

x

Yeah, very familiar with it as we've been looking for the right one for 3 years now and this just came to us unexpected. We're pretty excited about it.
    edited November 2014

x

• OldDogNewTrixOldDogNewTrix Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!
    Wayne '09 340 EC