Drive leg Bellows

TopazTopaz Member Posts: 4
I'm in the process of making an offer on a 2008 Rinker 280 EC. One of the survey items was that there is cracking of the bellows at the transom.     ( not sure how serious or how much ...I haven't received the full written report yet. The recommendation is to consider having this inspected agin next year and possibly replacing it. The moisture levels in parts of the transom were higher than normal although common in a 12 year old boat. Should this be a "red flag", serious enough to stop the sale. Also does anyone have a rough estimate of the cost for parts and labour or time involved to o the fix.  Thanks for any info.

Answers

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bellows are parts that should be replaced every few years, very common. As for the moisture readings, I don’t think it would scare me away but others might have more experience with that.
    2008 330EC
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    If the bellows are cracking they should just be replaced now. I don't know why they would say to wait as this can cause more issues if it hasn't already with water on the gimbal and u-joint, especially in salt. 

As for the moisture readings I would have all the areas at the transom inspected for leaking such as the transom assembly and any other areas the may have bolts or access into the transom area. 

Of course I am not looking at the boat so this is just my opinion from what I am read on your post. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    edited October 2020
    Was the drive pulled to inspect alignment and if any water leaked in from the bellows? Also, you will know if the upper oil seal on the drive is leaking.
    2008 330EC
  • TopazTopaz Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the input so far. The drive leg apparently failed last summer and the leg was removed and a new u joint assembly and trunion bearing was installed. Also a complete new remanufactured Bravo 3 unit was installed to the existing upper unit. 

Well that's good but if they did all that and didn't do a bellow or if they did and it's already cracking seems odd. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    I was thinking that too. So maybe the surveyor is VERY particular ...or the shop that did the repairs should have done the bellows at the time of the repair. In any event the feeling I'm getting from the group is that this is not a " go-no go" item...?????
    edited October 2020
    I wouldn't say it's a no go but you have more info than we do. Just be sure to check all the "problems" he finds and make sure it's not a big deal and if so work it out in the negotiating. I will say had I looked further at what seemed to be like a very small problem on my survey it probably would have saved me 2-3k. 

1997 Bayliner 3988
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    Moisture(wet) is ok to a certain extent. Rot is not. Test drilling is the best way to check from inside transom.
    @PickleRick did you ever test drill the Bayliner? I thought I remembered you saying you were just didn't know if you needed to. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    I did. Found some moisture mostly around where the transducers mounted.  Expected for a life long slip kept boat.  I found no rot so she'll stay put until the fuel tank needs replacement.  That could take another decade or longer.

New transducer was hung properly where mounting screws attach to epoxy filled cavity and any water intrusion will never touch wood.

I really appreciate everyone’s input and comments. Sights like this are invaluable to all of us. Thanks.    
    Topaz said:
    I really appreciate everyone’s input and comments. Sights like this are invaluable to all of us. Thanks.    
    I can only imagine how many thousands of dollars this site has saved boat owners 😎.
    2008 330EC
    Or if you follow @aero3113 how many thousands of dollars it cost us if we try and keep up with him 🤑. I think his cleaning supplies bill is probably more than my fuel bill. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    LoL! 😳
    2008 330EC