Thanksgiving

randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Non-Boating Related
The wife and I have had a lot of discussions, debates, about Thanksgiving, should we or not. As we normally have 20-25 over. What are the risk factor's. So I came up with a list of rule's, such as everyone must wash there hands,  don't forget the thumbs, No hugs, If you go back for seconds (recommended) use a clean plate, we have plenty. Paper towels we be in all bathrooms instead of hand towels, If you touch a dinner roll or any other food, put it on your plate. deserts will cut and on separate plates. extra tables will be provided to us separated, family units will set together. There are a few more but you get the idea.

So I ask my hair'y legged boating friends, what are your thoughts?  Your Thanksgiving plans?

If you are contemplating a Holiday event, In my research,  I found this app that may help you in making a choice in eating out, to events, in your area. click on the link below type in your zip code and follow the instructions. 

https://mycovidrisk.app/
Boat Name : 

Comments

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ours will be much smaller. My parents always invite a big crowd of friends and extended family and they called me two weeks ago and said “prepare for the thanksgiving of your dreams, immediate family and spouses only”. I was happy as I like it small anyway. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    were going small
    just daughter and son n law
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    This year will be my wife and I and that's about it. Any excuse to not have to entertain a bunch of family and their random friends 🤣. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take temperatures prior to entering and have a hand sanitizer station outside. That’s all you can do other than a rapid test kit
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    You guys are eating?  My family and friends are going shopping instead.  We are buying luggage to send to the celebrities, athletes and internet influencers who are threatening to leave this country if their candidate doesnt win the election.  Just so this remains neutral and diplomatic trump will get his luggage if he loses as well....ive heard nearly as many Trump supporters crying as I have Democrat supporters.  

We can wear masks and socially distance while we go from store to store so it should be more safe than all of us eating around a table.  I think we should do this every 4 years. Mix things up and get rid of people who don't respect democracy.     

So for myself and most of my family it will either be a celebration or making lemons out of lemonade....either way it should be fun.   

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    We will just have the 4 of us for Thanksgiving.  I like it that way. Never any shopping on Thanksgiving.   It is our family time.  My daughter may have her boyfriend over, but that's it. 

I wouldn't want to go anywhere this Thanksgiving and deal with all this covid crap mixed with regular flu season too.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

We are flying up to Maryland. Not worried. 
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been very locked up (aside from going out on the boat w/ my few good friends here)... and basically blew away 5 weeks of summer vacation in which I wanted to go back north but just couldn't get on a plane.

After "wasting" (wasn't that bad being off in the keys for 5 weeks) all that time not going home to see friends and family, I took the week off for thanksgiving and bought plane tickets. No big party though. Just 4 family members this year. 
  • andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling on November 4th the pandemic will no longer be headlines. Andy
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We decided to keep it just our kids, and grandkids. thanks to all that replied. 
    Boat Name : 

n 1925, the Brooklyn-born entrepreneur Clarence Birdseye invented a machine for freezing packaged fish that would revolutionize the storage and preparation of food. Maxson Food Systems of Long Island used Birdseye’s technology, the double-belt freezer, to sell the first complete frozen dinners to airlines in 1945, but plans to offer those meals in supermarkets were canceled after the death of the company’s founder, William L. Maxson. Ultimately, it was the Swanson company that transformed how Americans ate dinner (and lunch)—and it all came about, the story goes, because of Thanksgiving turkey.

According to the most widely accepted account, a Swanson salesman named Gerry Thomas conceived the company’s frozen dinners in late 1953 when he saw that the company had 260 tons of frozen turkey left over after Thanksgiving, sitting in ten refrigerated railroad cars. (The train’s refrigeration worked only when the cars were moving, so Swanson had the trains travel back and forth between its Nebraska headquarters and the East Coast “until panicked executives could figure out what to do,” according to Adweek.) Thomas had the idea to add other holiday staples such as cornbread stuffing and sweet potatoes, and to serve them alongside the bird in frozen, partitioned aluminum trays designed to be heated in the oven. Betty Cronin, Swanson’s bacteriologist, helped the meals succeed with her research into how to heat the meat and vegetables at the same time while killing food-borne germs.

Boat Name : 

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, well, I learned a thing today.  
    With the current rise in cases, looking less and less likely I'll be getting on a plane to head north for the holiday.. 
    J3ff said:
    With the current rise in cases, looking less and less likely I'll be getting on a plane to head north for the holiday.. 
    Chicken. 
    Where will you be Dec 30 ?
    Okay Biff. Will be down in the keys on Dec30th
    J3ff said:
    Okay Biff. Will be down in the keys on Dec30th
    Me too. Cudjoe key. 

(CNN)Three weeks after Canadians celebrated their Thanksgiving holiday, the country is seeing a national spike in cases.

Several cities and provinces have shattered single day records for coronavirus infections, and Canada's top doctors say the holiday -- held on October 12 -- is partly to blame.

Dr. Eileen de Villa, Toronto's medical officer, warned that infection rates in the city are going in the wrong direction -- and that the timing points to Thanksgiving gatherings as the problem.
    Boat Name : 

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone is tired of being in lockdown and creep is happening. It’s easy to blame a holiday but just like colds and the flu, C19 will continue to spread.

Restaurants in Toronto were ordered closed for dine-in 3 weeks ago and should reopen next weekend. Then cases will spike again and restaurants will be blamed. 🙄
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
    Only 1 death in Florida yesterday. Just sayin
    15 in Miami-dade.. ? 

Looks like 28 in all of Florida.. 
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    This is just a simple post about what we are planning for Thanksgiving. Doesn't need to turn into some political discussion. 

On topic we were gonna be alone however my mother in law is not well so now we will probably be spending time with her this Thanksgiving then head to the Olympic Peninsula to finish off the weekend. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    edited November 2020
    Tickets home cancelled. Turkey on the boat it is... oh well. Can't go home to infect mom and dad

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Small groups inside, larger groups outside ... we had our Canadian Thanksgiving weeks ago. They were clamping down locally, restricting number of people inside.  So, my wife and I decided to have Thanksgiving two weeks earlier, because of an amazing weather forecast, which would mean we could have it outside.  We still only had like 12 people ... but it was nice being outside, and have the close family together.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Smart move, And smart give your wife the credit for that idea. 

(CNN)A small minority of places where people go frequently account for a large majority of coronavirus infections in big cities, according to a new modeling study.

The study, published in the journal Nature on Tuesday, suggests that reducing the maximum occupancy in such places -- including restaurants, gyms, cafes and hotels -- can slow the spread of illness substantially.

Boat Name :