Cabin Carpet

davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
I started ripping out the carpet that lines the small storage area under my aft bed.  For whatever reason that area just seems to stay wet.  The bilge under it is dry.  I cant see any leaks or stains but the carpet is just always wet.  Last year i cleaned it really well to get a little of the musty smell out of it.  This year i am just going to rip it out.  I would love to know what glue they used.  Man that stuff is strong.  

I think i am going to sand the area, paint it and then put down a rubber material instead of carpeting.  Maybe something removeable so i can clean it.  I really want to rip up all of the carpeting now and replace it.  However i am looking at how it is under and tucked into everything.  That is going to be tough going.
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!

Comments

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You’ve got to fix the leak first. Could be your shower sump, your shower drain line, your ac raw water line or filter. Your freshwater tank (you’d know if it was black water). It should not be wet like that, something is leaking but I don’t think it’s rain, it’s most likely plumbing. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take it from me, the guy who chased leaks for years. START with the wind shield screws!! There's less than 10 of them on mine and it took no more than 20 mins per side using life caulk!! It would have saved me days of work if I had figured out it was the WS screws first, before doing all the others!! 
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    @Liberty44140 I hear ya.  I have already checked all those off the list.  Shower has never been used.  I have already checked all the freshwater lines. All of the area around it is dry.  I have a little water in the mid bilge....maybe 1/2 in of water.  I am pretty sure that is rain leaking in from the anchor locker.  @J3ff has a point though. I haven't checked the windshield screws.  I guess i was thinking that would be noticeable in the ceiling panels though.  
    David have you opened up the air conditioning intake vent under the v birth? When you open that up you have full access and can see if water is leaking from the air conditioner and/or it’s raw water output as well as the anchor locker. If you see water coming from the bow flowing to the stern then you have your answer and those are easy fixes since the anchor locker has drains that may be stopped up. My air conditioning thru Hull leaked where it exits the boat on the stbd port side. Water could be seen dripping down the hull. Easy fix with hose clamp and no more leaks. 

I did and it is dry as a bone up there
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can’t be from the anchor locker
    I couldn't believe it either but there was at least one screw on both sides where it was pretty obvious it was leaking. I also never found the path of the water but after I sealed them both it has never been a problem again. Take the 20 minutes and seal up the side that's leaking and see what happens. Then even if the other side isn't leaking go seal those as well. I did not do one right after the other and ended up having to throw out a $200 mattress because of the laziness. 
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a ton of water in my mid bilge when I was looking at my 330. It was on the hard for a full season. When I bought it , I vacuumed all of the water out and sealed all of my windshield frame screws. Not one drop of water in the mid bilge the whole season.
    2008 330EC
    Galley or head sink? Both easy to check...

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check the seal around the port lights between the stainless beauty ring and the white frame. IF there are any gaps there, remove the sealant and reseal with Life Caulk or 3M4000UV. That is where my midberth leak was coming from.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    Done and done. Only thing i havent done is reseal the windahield screws. The only wet part is the carpet in the storage area under the aft bed.  Nothing else.
    edited November 2020
    You're going to kick yourself like I did after realizing how simple the windshield screws are.. :)

Is it the forward or rear part of the carpet under the bed?
    Actually the whole thing. Including the sides.
    Well after going through this past weekend with tons and tons of rain, it's still dry! So that solved it for now! 
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was told that when the windshields were installed, and they needed to move them for any reason, they just redrilled the holes and never filled in the old holes. 
    @J3ff I remember another thread on what you did but could you remind me how you actually sealed the holes.  Remove weather striping. Back out screws.  Did you have to have to actually move the window frame away from the place it is in some?  Drill out the holes?  Fill with Epoxy?  Redrill?  New Screws?  Caulk the frame and then re install the weather stripping.
    Just pulled out the little rubber strip, unscrewed one at a time, cleaned around the screw hole as best as possible... filled with life caulk.... put screw back on, moved to the next. I think there were about 8 to 10 screws.. 
    Didnt get a chance to do the windshield screws however i did find water. I have determined i am going to rip out and replace all the carpet in the cabin AND it is gonna be a major pain. Basically the carpet looks like it was the first thing put in the boat and everything else was just screwed in on top. I am pretty sure it goes all the way under the cabinets.  The water was discovered by pulling out the lowest drawer under the sink. That had a few inches of water trapped. Could also feel some under the fridge. 
    Actually I think this is good news. You’ve traced it forward. Are you sure it’s not coming from the galley sink? Other options could be the port above the panel but the sink is farther forward so I think that is unlikely. Also could be the electrical cord inputs on the port side. Pulling and re sealing those would be super easy. 

The water was pretty old and i think was from the port light that i had to reseal. I am going to have to pull the fridge and look under it. The floor is structured under the cabinets so it has to be within those two areas.
    Anyone ever pull out the cabinets?
    Ok day 1 of ripping out the carpet. 
    Wow! Great that you are documenting this for other members. Your floor looks great, did you add that?

edited November 2020
    No the previous owner did that.
    Post edited by davidbrooks on
    Took another day to get the main carpet out then another to put the new one in. This picture is the carpet that is under the dinette. The top is the old carpet the bottom is what is going in.
    Getting close. Just need to remove the frim pieces around the bathroom door and i will have all the old stuff out.
    Looking good. Can you come do mine next? I have that awful half shag carpet
    Wow, never really thought about how much carpet was there in the 342. Lots to remove, will be nice to have it fresh and new!

This job ranks up there with sanding off bottom paint...by hand. I bought a 12x14 section of carpet and it looks like i am gonna use every inch.
    Ok all finished. 6 full days from start to finish. I have to tell you what the difference is huge. I didn't realize how much mold and dust For mildew was being held in that carpeting until I ripped out sections and put it in my car to take home to cut out new pieces. Within 20 minutes I was coughing wheezing and my eyes are watering and had to drive the rest of the way with the windows down. I'll come back tomorrow and remove the bracing. It's there just to keep pressure on the sides to make sure that it doesn't pull up until the glue dries.