Options

Ah - where is the plug?

MiamiAGMiamiAG Member Posts: 210 ✭✭

So boat is getting detailed and saw the plug hole that you can see here. I’m assuming there is a plug that is supposed to go there. New boater question. Am I right?
2013 290 ec - Volvo Penta D4/DP

Comments

• Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    When they pull the boat they usually pull the plug every time put it back in when you put the boat in the water
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yea you need a plug. As said they probably left it in the boat for you somewhere. If it’s lost west marine stocks these. It’s nice to have a spare.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    Mostly see techs throw the drain plug in the swim ladder compartment - if you have one. So it doesn't get lost.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My mechanic puts the plug in a cup holder.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I believe the technical term for this item is a garboard plug. This word comes from the lowermost board on a wooden ship's hull, which is called the garboard. It could be British lingo in origin, not sure. Andy
  • Options
    MiamiAGMiamiAG Member Posts: 210 ✭✭
    That’s why I love this forum. Fantastic info! And yes, it was in the cup holder! Thanks!
    2013 290 ec - Volvo Penta D4/DP
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mattie said:
    Mostly see techs throw the drain plug in the swim ladder compartment - if you have one. So it doesn't get lost.

That's only if they're too lazy to crawl up on the boat and put it in a cup holder...
    Actually, when winterizing my mechanic pulled the plug first, then into the boat where he placed the plug in the cup holder at the helm. Then opened the hatch to winterize. Always checked there first.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The two marinas I used both put the garbord plug in a clear bag and taped to the steering wheel. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine did first year until the mechanic realized I wasn't a total newb and knew it would be in the cup holder. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    Bunch of seasons ago after I removed my (air quote) garboard plug......I left a 9/16” wrench in the wet locker on the swim platform all winter.

Ended up with a perfect rust image of the wrench in the gel coat.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current