Project: Folding steps for the engine room

LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Rinker Custom Projects
My 370 engine room was built with a single U-shaped step bolted to the stringers.  Today I replaced it with two folding steps mounted to the bulkhead -- a much better solution.  It's safer and easier to use.  If they are in the way, I can fold them up.  And now I can reach into the bilge (which was not possible with the original step).  

In the first photo (forgive the leaves and mess) you see the original step (this is aft looking forward).  Normally, the fire extinguisher bottle is mounted to the bulkhead just forward of the step.  The new steps are on either side of the fire extinguisher.  Here's the product I used:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G6JYNC

If you attempt this mod, double-check what's on the other side of the bulkhead (in case a screw pokes through).  

Post edited by LaRea on

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
     Very nice upgrade!
    2008 330EC
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely.  The original step was way too low.  I always hated making that "leap of faith" to get my foot onto the step.  

I used the new steps a lot yesterday.  Much, much better.  
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice! Those steps remind me of climbing the mast on my dads sailboat. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Very nice.  I know my bulkhead would be a little too forward to do that.  But, my step down is a little higher and works ok for now.  I like that upgrade!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    Step down.  I always thought that is what risers were for.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Step down.  I always thought that is what risers were for.
    On my 270 they sure were. Bulkhead too far forward for those steps. Have seen and used them on trucks I drove as a younger man though.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    What do you mean by the bulkhead being too far forward?  The hatch opening has an overhang on the forward side?

I always liked the nonskid they put on top of the risers.  Not.
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my 330 there is probably 16” of depth from the edge of the hatch opening to the bulkhead. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least a foot or more on the 270.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    LaRea said:
    What do you mean by the bulkhead being too far forward?  The hatch opening has an overhang on the forward side?
    Yes, I have an overhang.  My step is a bit different than what you had and it's not too bad.  Maybe when I get to your age I'll think differently :smile:

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• echandler1971echandler1971 Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
    I'm late to the show on this thread. I just have a question about  how the steps attach. Can one just use screws rather than bolts? I'm just wondering if the force of 200+ lbs of weight on a step could rip screws out of the fiberglass. It's an awesome idea I'm thinking of taking on myself, but just want to plan it out.
    Dan of Steel
    '05 Rinker 360 Fiesta Vee
    Hey, welcome to the forum. 

I used four very stout screws into the fiberglass ... #10, maybe #12 but I'm not certain.  I'm 185 lbs on a good day, and if I bounce on the step it feels solid and safe.  

Drill the right size pilot hole.  Too big, the screw might pull out under load.  Too small, the screw will bind and could shear off.  

Might be a good idea to trim off the insulation under the mounting area.  I didn't, so there's just a tiny little bit of give when under a heavy load.  
    edited January 2021
    @echandler1971 - instead of Phillips head screws, consider using a lag screw with a washer, so you can tighten it with a socket instead of a screwdriver.  
  • GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    Great idea. I have no problem getting in to the engine compartment but at my age and flexibility getting out is a problem, I will be looking behind the bulkhead to see what's there.
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grahamu said:
    Great idea. I have no problem getting in to the engine compartment but at my age and flexibility getting out is a problem, I will be looking behind the bulkhead to see what's there.
    You need to do more boat Yoga
  • GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    @Handymans342, I think I am pretty active at 80 years old so I doubt I'll be doing yoga LOL
    edited January 2021
    If anybody buys exactly the same steps I bought:  you might need pry bars to open the hinges for the first time so you can install them.  It's not a high-precision casting.   

Also, the top edge of the step is kinda sharp.  It's great for traction, but about a month ago, I slammed my elbow - hard - right on the edge.  Then there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth.  
    Just ordered one step for my 360. 
    Dan of Steel

Same step, but just did one. Cut the insulation so it’s against the wall. Used 1.5” lags. Also, installed an Arlo camera with spotlight in the engine room to monitor the engines while running and to see the bilge levels. It also will sense motion (like fire) and alert me. 
    Dan of Steel
  • downunderdownunder Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    this is a great idea and wish i could do it in my 340 FV. No room at all in front of engines!
    The engine bay in my boat is just plain horrible and mechanics have to be super fit and flexible. When did Rinker introduce the model with space in front of engines. What model was it? Hey Grahamu i am impressed and agree it can be a real mission to get out!!
    "festina lente" - 2001  340 FV
    The 2002 342 is the first model with the redesigned stern.  
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    No no my 2002 does not have the redesigned stern. There is no room for anything in there. I believe that redesign was 2003 or 2004. Lots of room in those ER.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    Not 2003. Maybe 2004 or 2005.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
    Oh -- right you are, @raybo3.  But my '03 did have it.  
    edited May 2021
    It’s an 05 360 FV. The space in front of the engines I rent out for weddings and banquets.
    Dan of Steel
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s an 05 360 FV. The space in front of the engines I rent out for weddings and banquets.
    LoL! I love the space I have in the engine room of my 330. Very user friendly!
    2008 330EC
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    There is not enough room in my ER to fart...lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • downunderdownunder Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    thanks for the info , looks like 2004 onwards is a good guide.
    Raybo3 , great description lol
    "festina lente" - 2001  340 FV