Probably too late!

Hi Folks,  Was reading some articles to see if there is anything I need to do to the boat trailer, before taking out of winter storage. Obviously I'd check the levels in the wheel bearings.  Is there anything else before I hit the highways?  I've also read that I should have "blocked the trailer" while in storage.  I suppose this means using jack stands to take some of the load off the suspension.  Thanks 

Comments

• mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Never too late for maintenance....

Bearings, tires & lights. Look for broken or missing suspension parts/bolts.

Tires & bearings first. Chk the date codes on the tires.....4 digits. Manufacturers stamp the week/year on the side. Over 5 years old is suspect. Grease or repack bearings.

Dielectric grease on all electrical connections.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    A trailer is rated to hold much more than its own weight so I don't see any benefits to blocking it. 

Give the bunks a look while the boats off the trailer. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Blocking it will stop flat spots while sitting. The reason I lift the bike off it’s tires. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• DonGarganoDonGargano Member Posts: 60
    Thanks for the feedback guys.  I'll do a good inspection and will grease the electrical connections as advised here.  Probably should have added that it is a brand new (last summer) EZ loader.  Love how the Wheel caps are clear and I can see oil levels and clarity.
    edited February 2021
    Didn't realize it was brand new.

Don't be shy with the dielectric grease on all connections, also use some rust inhibitor on springs/shackles/coupler/frame. Spray on some Fluid Film or Rust Check or Boeshield.....or?

All of the above will pay dividends down the road. Keep it stored outta the weather if you can.

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    @mattie you do realise dielectric grease is non-conductive. It should be added after the connection is made. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @raybo3 , I always pack the connector with dielectric grease than make the connection. How would it protect the connection if you put it on after the connection is made?
    2008 330EC
    @aero3113 dielectric grease should be used after you make your connection to keep water out. It is really made for spark plug boots and the boots only and not on the actual connection. Remember dielectric grease is non-conductive.  
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    Even in aviation, we pack certain connectors. It keeps the pins from having any corrosion and allowing no water in. Sometimes we receive electronic boxes or parts with the connections pre packed.
    2008 330EC
    If your going to pack connections it should be noalox anti-oxidant 
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    raybo3 said:
    If your going to pack connections it should be noalox anti-oxidant 
    Then its conductive?
    Post edited by Handymans342 on
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    Even in aviation, we pack certain connectors. It keeps the pins from having any corrosion and allowing no water in. Sometimes we receive electronic boxes or parts with the connections pre packed.
    Let me know what planes you work on so I dont fly on them
    So, great comments gents. I'm posting a google image of the connector I have for the truck.  I'll likely try to find a YouTube video on how and where to apply the dielectric or anti oxidant agent.
    It does actually say it should not be applied directly to the pins or mating surface. That's news to me and I think many. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    edited February 2021
    Hey fellas,
    I just mainly use the dielectric grease as an anti corrosive. After years of snowmobile trailers & boat trailers.....snowmobile trailers take a pounding. Cold, melt, salt & brine solutions on roads, absolutely the worst of environments. I goop that stuff on all connections. 
    I'm happy to say that my stuff gets top buck at resale. Doesn't even compare to untreated trailers. Same goes for boat trailer.

I go nuts with spray on Rust Check - the frame/axles/shackles/springs/coupler. Then grease all electrical connections. The elec connections are far easier to work on down the road if need be.

Good vid by the way.

I obviously use too much di-grease - but never had an issue. Wipe off the excess.....usually on my pants.

Anti-ox is conductive and Dielectric is not. Again not to be repetitive dielectric grease is NON-CONDUCTIVE and should be applied after electrical connections are made. 
    I might have to re-read all of these posts, but honestly I'm still confused. Am I applying the dielectric grease on everything but the contacts themselves. 

Rust check is a great idea...thanks for that.  So for my connectors pictures above, probably around the base of the pins, and around the 'joint' once the two pieces are connected.  Likely shouldn't be going this far down on the launch ramp, but I guess I should grease the installed connector outlet too.  
    From what it sounds like you should use dielectric grease around the base as a water proof barrier. I know I and many others have used this in a way that apparently is incorrect with no issue but now knowing there is a specific grease that is meant to be on the pins I will use that instead.
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    Make sure everything is clean. Make your electrical connections and make sure they are good and tight. After the connection is made spread some dielectric grease on it to keep water and dirt out. If your connections are on a terminal board this will also help with "tracking" from water or carbon build up. 
    When I bought my new Quickersilver ignition wires, they came with dielectric grease pre installed. The grease was in the boot, and on the metal.
    2008 330EC
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This much-quoted article seems authoritative.  He says that if the pins in a connector have good electrical contact WITHOUT dielectric grease, they will also have good contact WITH grease -- and the grease will protect against corrosion on surfaces exposed to air.  

Basically, the grease just squeezes out of the way, assuming it has the right viscosity at the required temperature range.

He also says that "conductive" grease is actually a powder of conductive particles suspended in dielectric grease.  He says it doesn't have much effect on connectors, and it can create problems when used with dissimilar metals.

https://www.w8ji.com/dielectric_grease_vs_conductive_grease.htm
    This is gonna be the next diesel vs gas or hardtop or not discussion. 😃
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    No no diesel vs gas or hardtop vs no hardtop is all a matter of preference and opinion. The use of dielectric is rite vs wrong. Here is the definition of dielectric grease:  Dielectric grease, or tune-up grease, is a silicone-based grease that repels moisture and protects electrical connections against corrosion. ... The grease does not conduct electricity, so it shouldn't be applied directly to the mating surfaces (pins and sockets) of an electrical connection. This is the rite way of using it. 
    Thanks again Gents.   Am really appreciating the value of this forum.  Spending my wife's money like it's going out of style!!