Options

Source to replace carafe for LG LCRM1240 combo microwave coffee maker?

LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
Thought this topic deserved a separate thread.  A lot of Rinker cruisers have the LG "cafe combo" microwave coffee maker.  LG stopped making them years ago, and nobody has parts.  If you are a coffee drinker and you break the glass carafe, you're in deep kimchi.  

Has anybody ever found a source to replace the carafe?

Is there another microwave/coffee maker that fits as a drop-in replacement?

LG LCRM1240ST 12 cu ft Countertop Combination Microwave and Coffee Maker  with 1200 Cooking Watts Sensor Cook and Round Cavity

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Subscribed.  I couldn't find one that was even close to as wide and I couldn't accept a 1"+ gap on either side. Went with a new panel instead. 

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love some Kimchi
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LaRea. May need a little wood filler. 
  • Options
    FWIW, the part number is:  3495W1A001K
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Read post #8 in this thread from the SR forum. There is another option if you can find it.

http://www.clubsearay.com/index.php?threads/help-lg-microwave-coffee-combo.96622/
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Is the coffee that comes out of the LG any good? It seems like a disgusting setup to me, I assumed nobody used it!
  • Options
    LoL, I just read post #11 and it just fills the space, doesn’t work with the maker.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    That's just a cosmetic space-filler, not a functional carafe.  

Now that I've made myself completely paranoid about breaking the carafe, I'll revive another old question:  Who has a good way to secure the carafe and microwave door when underway?  I've seen ugly solutions with tape, velcro and the like.  Anybody have something less intrusive than those?  Or should I just stash the carafe in a cabinet?
  • Options
    DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    If you do find one, (like I did thanks to a member here on the Rinker site) always take it out of the microwave and stow it while underway.  OR...a velcro strap with double sided tape on both sides of the opening help to keep in in place. It was never designed to stay in place while the entire boat was bouncing up and down and side to side   It was a horrible design made to incorporate two appliances into one. If it was a good design, it would still be in production and parts would be available. The ONLY reason I replaced my carafe', was the microwave works well and I couldn't stand looking at an empty hole. I never used, I never will. A small k-cup maker is such a better idea.  The used ones have pretty much dried up at this point because so many have broken and need to be replaced.
    Post edited by Dirtythirty on
  • Options
    Aero had a great idea using a baby proof strap on his microwave door. Same idea should work for the carafe. 
  • Options
  • Options
    I’m still looking for some type of trim I can put on to finish off my microwave enclosure. If anyone has ideas, let me know.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve wondered about buying a few small coffee makers to see if one of their carafes will fit. Would love to be able to use the coffee maker.

aero can you send a link for that microwave closure? We’ve docked to find the door open and the glass turn table on the floor! (8-10 ft waves)
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Here you go @Liberty44140

Safety 1st Multi-Purpose Appliance Lock Decor, 2-Count (Packaging May Vary) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AS693R2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_G0WS1HXKTT8M6F2CC40H
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Thanks! I hope it doesn’t baffle me too much  :D

• Options
  • Options
    I was just looking at Rinkers online and saw this. Looks like a small bungee.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Not the most elegant solution...
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was literally just looking at this thread and had the same thought. I was googling the part number and looking at pictures of it 😂
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Maybe someone can 3D print? Do they make food grade plastic for a 3D printer?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    The bubble on top is simply to allow coffee to come out of the filter into the carafe as it presses against the open/close valve. If you find one that fits but doesn't open the bottom of the filter couldn't you just remove the spring loaded open/close valve on the bottom of the filter. Only downside is you just need to wait till it's done brewing completely before removing the carafe. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    @Aqua_Aura I am glad somebody else said it first.  You need to make a replacement.  It could have sales numbers easily in the upper single digits!   :D  No seriously, I'd buy one just as preventive maintenance.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I actually still have my carafe (somewhere) but it has a crack in it.  Doesn't leak though. We don't drink coffee, but as mentioned, I hate looking empty hole.  Actually, I  wouldn't put it in because I'd the have to remove.  All heck, maybe I don't need it after all!!😁🤗  I'd just have it for the next owner.

I did have microwave dish come out and shatter.  What a huge mess that was. It was on a short ride on a smooth day.  One large boat wake out of nowhere. Now we always, always, take it out for rides.  

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Dream if you have the measurements of the right carafe and can post that would be great, they do have some smaller ones on Amazon. Found one that is 4.75 x 4.75 x 3” but I think that’s too big 

• Options
    edited March 2021
    This is why I hate combination type stuff. One little piece breaks and it's ruined 😒. Luckily for us with our little boats we have a regular microwave and then added the single serve Keurig style coffee maker and a french press. 

@LaRea. I can only imagine the tooling cost. I wanted to make a special die to manufacturer the snap tool and it was gonna be around $7,000 and that was just to mold the jaws of the tool. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Aqua, I do agree with you. But for us, that coffee maker never bothered us and the microwave is actually pretty awesome.  It is large and round inside and couldn't imagine finding something as good to replace.  Again, I agree.  I have a TV/DVD combo in the boat that is very particular about certain DVDs. We have a separate player now in a cabinet that switches between it and the other TV in the cockpit.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I measured my opening today..... carafe opening that is. If we could find a small carafe 4” x 5” bottom (or 4” round) that tapers to 2.5” at the top and is only 5” (or maybe 6”) high it could fit. Will be hard to find but I’ll be googling... 

• Options
    lauramae350lauramae350 Member Posts: 2
    Bubbling this one up to the top - -any update on sources for these carafes? 
  • Options
    @lauramae350 - welcome to the forum.  Great question and I hope somebody provides an updated source.  
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!