Red light on display on 2007 350 RINKER says reversed Polarity ?

Recently moved my 350 to different Marina for stereo work on there I had brought my 30 amp yellow cable to plug in boat on the Port side same side its always been plugged in to .  For its whole life only one owner prior and he used port the whole time he owned it.  When I left it was ok charging the stero guy get there and red light shows on display?  He swaps the court to starboard side charges fine green light on.  By switching the sides with same cable rules out the feed from the box.  The cord so where should I start to see why the red light is on ?  Is it possible it was ok and when he was in behind the panel something was connected wrong?  He doesn’t recall but hasn’t ruled it out.   the boats two hrs away so searching forums someone might have run across this after stero install? Or has had the main control board apart and has seen something that could have been switched or plugged in backwards.  

Mike 

Answers

• skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Why was the stereo guy in the shore power panel is my first question.

Could be a connection...could be the socket.  Any faulty connection could cause that.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Exactly. No reason to go in there.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Is this in a warehouse? Out of the water? Agree with above comments on why he was in there but it’s probably the converter to 20 amp or the cord. On every boat I’ve had I’ll get reverse polarity inside the winter storage warehouse if I’m using an older extension cord or bad converter plug. Decent cord or plug, all good. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• MbmikeMbmike Member Posts: 18
    skennelly said:
    Why was the stereo guy in the shore power panel is my first question.

Could be a connection...could be the socket.  Any faulty connection could cause that.
    Not sure what’s you mean on the shore panel?  I believe he said in order to open the main circuit panel which yes might be referring to the main shore power you have to remove right side door since hinge is in the way?  I know he was behind that to install the new amps I thought I’d start there on Saturday along with getting down into the engine compartment on the port side checking the connections on the inside of the socket 

• skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.  Why was he messing with the main circuit panel.  Stereos are 12v...have nothing to do with mains
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where are the shore power receptacles located?  My boat has a set mounted right above where the original amps were located.  A cable could accidentally get pulled or pinched.  
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    On the 350 the 12v panel is right below the 120v panel and both need to be open to run wires etc.  The amp is located below the 12v panel.

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    On the 350 the 12v panel is right below the 120v panel and both need to be open to run wires etc.  The amp is located below the 12v panel.

Same for the 310 EC / 320 EX. 
  • Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Had a similar situation this winter while prepping for launch. One of the terminals in socket felt loose when I removed shore power cable. Went away when I plugged back in. So I replaced all the inlet sockets as they were 18 years old anyway