Remote oil filter hoses

skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
Anybody know what the torque specs are on the remote oil hose flare nuts that go into the block adapter?

I replaced mine today but space was so tight that it was hard to get leverage to tighten the flare nuts.  I think I got them pretty snug, but I'm a little paranoid.
2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I did mine, I snugged them up pretty good. I was able to use wrenches on my 330 with room. A set of crows feet, an extension and ratchet will probably help you out.
    2008 330EC
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @aero3113 - I have absolutely no room for any tools besides a box wrench.  Almost no room to put any force on the wrench to tighten.  When I go back I'm going to look again and just make sure
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    @skennelly with a crows foot you would be coming up along the line from below. With a long extension hopefully it will work.
    2008 330EC
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could you remove the bracket that holds the filter, attach the lines, and then reattach the bracket?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
    @YYZRC I don't think that would be possible.  I seriously have bearly enough room to fit my hand in and then it's working by feel.  If I remove my water heater I might have more room...but really don't want to do that.

@aero3113 I think I know what you are saying with the crows foot.  It would prevent the line from moving as I tighten the flare nut.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think being a marine mechanic is the worst job. Being an armchair marine mechanic is pretty great, though. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
    edited April 2021
    @YYZRC yeah.  Everything beyond an oil change is usually a nightmare and I always go into the job with confidence that it won't take that long to do lol.  I'll never learn
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    skennelly said:
    @YYZRC yeah.  Everything beyond an oil change is usually a nightmare and I always go into the job with confidence that it won't take that long to do lol.  I'll never learn
    And you always buy the proper tools to do the job, then never use them again! That's how I do it! Admiral just asked yesterday what came from Amazon, and I said "just a tool for the boat." She rolled her eyes. :smile:
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the education. Never knew what a crows foot was. Man would those have helped in some bad positions on my Rinker. Will be grabbing a set from harbor freight ASAP! 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

@Liberty44140 , they’re one of those tools that come through for you. You try every wench you own then you remember you have a set of crows feet.
    2008 330EC
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While you're at it, look up this little gem:  "Indexing ratcheting combination wrench"  

This 30-second video explains how it works.  Pay attention to what he does at the end, with the indexing joint unlocked.  When you need to run a bolt in or out in a tight space, it's really fast and easy.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmVsHcRziNA
    edited April 2021
    @LaRea , it’s a cool design but wouldn’t work with a hose on the fitting.
    2008 330EC
    I changed these hoses out hoping they were the cause of an oil leak I had.  I always noticed it leaking directly in that area and the hose appeared to be oily.

I had to somehow validate my work...so I rigged up a bench test for the old hoses.

Essentially I blocked off one of the oil hose and submerged the hose in water and injected air from my air compressor into the other end.  And there I saw bubbles coming from the hose itself on one and from the crimp fitting on the other.  So both hoses were probably leaking.

I feel pretty good...hoping for an oil leak free season.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I got lucky.  My oil leak was fixed just by tightening the bolt that connects the remote to the motor.  Worked for both motors! :smile:  Thanks to someone on here that mentioned it earlier this year.  I tightened it the first weekend in March before my inauguration ride and it's been good since.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Nice.  I'm launching next week.  True test to come.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    edited April 2021
    A couple of days before I went to launch last season I had one of the starboard side hoses fail. I couldn’t get OEM before launch so I had a set made by a local hydraulic shop. I used the lines all of last season. When the boat was out of the water in fall, I installed the OEM lines. I also replaced the O ring at the fitting and at the opposite side of the adapter. Both O rings were as brittle as can be. I did have a slight leak back there, I’m assuming from one or both of these O rings. 

2008 330EC