Garmin and Yacht Devices Volvo set up

Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2021 in Electrical Discussions
Ok so I finally stopped thinking about it and bought the following items. This is for my 280EC with and 8.1 Volvo

Garmin echomap 73SV
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/garmin--echomap-uhd-73sv-chartplotter-fishfinder-combo-with-gt54-transducer-and-us-lakevu-g3-charts--19822733

Yacht Devices engine gateway

Yacht Devices Volvo Vodia/8 pin connector

TO BE ADDED LATER 
Garmin GMI20 to replace my analog gauges

Fuel tank level indicator

Just got this stuff so I will be trying to get it setup in the next couple weeks and post it since I have never found any full description on how to do this. It is not difficult now that I am familiar with the boat and electronics more. 

1997 Bayliner 3988
Post edited by Aqua_Aura on

Comments

• rmfridayrmfriday Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    there are a few people on this forum that have done this with the volvos, myself included.
    It is pretty straight forward and a huge improvement.
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes I did read your comments and some others but I don't think anyone has used YD I only saw Fox Marine. I decided on YD since they seem to have more support and more devices/sensors to add to the system. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read recently that the YDEG-04 can also bring your generator data onto the network.  People have done it with a VesselView ... not sure about Garmin MFDs.
    That would be nice since the only indicating we get is the generator shutting down 😁. Once I get the basics wired I will start adding all the rest as it will just be plug n play at that point. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    I am more than happy to help out with the Garmin MFD's, sensors and general NMEA.  As to Volvo... sorry I have no experience there.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    @Aqua_Aura I'll be following your progress with great interest. Thanks for posting about it. Andy
    I am gonna try and set it up this weekend just to check functionality before I do the full install. Want to make sure the engine gateway works before I give it the full effort. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    edited April 2021
    @davidbrooks My power for both the Garmin and the NMEA network will be provided at the helm. Should I just wire them both to my electronics switch that currently powers my Lowrance which is getting removed? I bought the NMEA starter kit which has the cables, Ts and power cord so I guess the network needs it's own power and won't get power from the chartplotter? 

1997 Bayliner 3988
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    Correct. It needs its own power. You want to make sure that the system is powered at the same time that the engines or accessories are powered
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tuned in for sure. I have digital gauges so this is not on the short list, but I believe this will work with my Volvo D6's to get more info on the ipad. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

edited May 2021
    Process has begun and now I will need to zip tie everything and get it mounted. Removed a speaker and a panel to get the NMEA wire from the engine bay. So far easier than expected 👍 

Post edited by Aqua_Aura on
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    I thought this would be more exciting and a larger task. It was literally plug and play with the yacht device gateway to my engine. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988