About to put a deposit on a 2000 Rinker 235 Millenial edition

I am about to look at a very nice condition Rinker.  It looks like it is well kept and maintained but any tips on what I should look for during my inspection that may be specific to this boat ?
I will look at the normal items.  Ex. Condition of boots, all operating gauges and switches etc.

Also,  it does not have bottom paint and I plan on keeping it in a slip all summer.  What is the going rate for getting a 24 ft boat bottom painted ?  Debating whether I should tackle it myself or have it done.

Thanks for your time,
Alan

Best Answer

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    One follow up question.  What added features were put onto the 2000 Millenium edition vs the standard setup ? (not millenial, my bad Mattie).  Freudian slip.  

Graphics package and first year with a black hull that I can remember. It also came with fenders, lines and koozies.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!

Answers

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bottom painting from fresh is very DIY. You’ll need the base coat then your choice of anti-foul for your area. 

If in fresh water, I can recommend VC-17 personally. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    If the boat comes with a trailer and you have a tow capable vehicle can you load it and run it to the local car wash when it starts to turn colors?  Depending on legnth of season and water type it might be just a couple washes a summer.  A good clean, polish and wax at the end of each season should make a quick wash down easy.  Once you go painted you cant go back.  A clean gelcoat bottom is more attractive than paint that needs yearly upkeep. Helps with resell value.  I have removed a 235s worn soft paint and applied hard.  It sucked.   This is if you're in fresh water.  If youre in salt or brackish you don't have a choice but to paint.

Isn't rinker gelcoat vinylester based which is much less likely to blister than polyester based that cheaper boat companies used?  
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    I would also say if in freshwater with this scenario (trailer and size of boat) I would not bottom paint. Rinker did use gelcoat less prone to blisters but I don't remember when it started. From what I have read my 2007 280 is the better gelcoat and possibly back to 2000. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 2000 270 never had paint and still looks like new.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    I believe you are talking about the 232, correct?  I'm not aware of a 235 in that era.  Anyways......my 2000 232 millennium edition looks new still.  Never had bottom paint.  
    Inspect all the normal stuff, as you would on any other boat.  I purchased my 2000 in 2016, with only 174 hours on it.  You will LOVE this boat!  It handles extremely well for it's size. Mine is a cuddy, with the 350mag and Bravo3 drive.  Lenco trim tabs are an awesome feature on mine. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need some pictures 
  • kennydalglishkennydalglish Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Here is the boat.  https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/306324904178984/

Thanks for the input guys.  Much appreciated.  Yes freshwater in Michigan.  Lake St. Clair mostly.  I am in a dilemma now.  I am going to look at a 2000 Regal 2550 LSC tomorrow that looks every bit the boat and more compared to the Rinker.  

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MichiganBoatsforSale/permalink/1532088116986044/?sale_post_id=1532088116986044

(May have to copy and paste this one)

Whats your guys thoughts on this Regal vs the Rinker ?
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a feeling most people on here will prefer the rinker. 

Whatever is in the best shape will be the best buy, whichever meets your families needs the best will keep you on the lake more often.

• Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    I was gonna say Regal seems to make nice boats but based on the photos that Regal looks very dated to me. That's just my opinion of course you are looking at it and do what you feel will work for your family. The main deck seems to show some more features on the Regal but will they actually be used, would be nice to see the cabin on the Rinker. I'm sure others with similar boats will have a better opinion. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lake St Clair is nice!  I grew up over that way.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough call. Both look to be in good shape, but an eyeball up close might be different. I like the cockpit layout of the Regal better, especially if you like to fish, the Rinker maybe more so for larger groups/family to go out for a ride. I wouldn't bottom paint either one, just wax it or use a product like Poli-Glow on the hull.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • ruggeroleruggerole Member Posts: 161 ✭✭
    Here is the boat.  https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/306324904178984/

Thanks for the input guys.  Much appreciated.  Yes freshwater in Michigan.  Lake St. Clair mostly.  I am in a dilemma now.  I am going to look at a 2000 Regal 2550 LSC tomorrow that looks every bit the boat and more compared to the Rinker.  

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MichiganBoatsforSale/permalink/1532088116986044/?sale_post_id=1532088116986044

(May have to copy and paste this one)

Whats your guys thoughts on this Regal vs the Rinker ?
    The Regal is a "cruiser" and the Rinker is a "232CC". These are extremely different boats. Personally I would go with the Rinker. I agree with Willhound; don't bottom paint.
    All good input.  I think I am going to like this forum.  Well, went to see the Regal.  It was in terrible shape.  It's amazing how pictures can hide a lot of issues.  Still making the trip 3 hours to see the Rinker in the pics.  Hopefully will come home with a boat before this weekend.
    One follow up question.  What added features were put onto the 2000 Millenium edition vs the standard setup ? (not millenial, my bad Mattie).  Freudian slip.  

On my 2000 232, I have Lenco trim tabs.  They are awesome to use!  You'll never want to own another boat without tabs.  I have added quite a bit of custom stuff to mine that is far from factory.  One thing I can say about the Rinker, you will fall in love with the ride of it.  I have owned many boats in the cuddy class, and the 232 handles alot better, takes the waves, and has that "big feel" to it in the chop, even though it's not a large boat.  

Mine came with the full camper enclosure, which I sold right away.  Some love those, I'm not one of em.  I added a 8' long bimini, wakeboard tower, huge stereo system, a 47" deep swim platform, and tons of LED lighting throughout the boat.  I have enough rod holders, to store (or troll)  12 poles out of the boat. No more torn upholstery for me!  

Good luck on that boat, I hope it's as nice in person as it looks.  That price in todays market is great.  I wouldn't ask a penny under $20k for mine. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rinkers clean up well too. So don’t be afraid of a little work. 
  • ruggeroleruggerole Member Posts: 161 ✭✭

I believe the only difference is the graphics. 
    Thanks all for the comments.  Well,  I ended up going with the 2000 Rinker.  She handled smooth out on the glass of Burt Lake yesterday.  Was very impressed.  Got a couple of things to work on.
    1) Upholstery in a few spots needs fixed (Anyone in the Royal Oak, MI. area have a good contact for this ?
    2) Oil pressure sensor replacement (reading high, want to check this out)
    3) Anyone selling a camper top for this type of boat ?  I have the Bimini but maybe just need the sides, front and back window attachments.
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For any Rinker-specific part, a good first stop is Great Lakes Skipper (www.greatlakesskipper.com).  GLS buys excess stock from boat builders, and they have a lot of Rinker stuff, but I don't see canvas for your boat on there.  
    Thanks for the tip LaRea.  I will add them to my internet favorites for the future.

Congratulations!  And welcome to the Rinker family 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Contact @boattech01 TJ to see if he has a top for you. He might, but if he doesn’t, you will have to go custom or wait until Ameritex starts taking orders for canvas. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    @kennydalglish Before I sold my full camper kit for my 2000.  We did about as good of checking as we could for compatibility on the guy who bought it from me that we could.  His was a 96 232 if memory doesn't fail me.  It ended up being slightly different, only because the snaps didn't line up.  Dimensions were the same, fit was right except for snaps.  Hope that helps ya on your search....
    2000 Captiva 232 
    Thanks Lake Bum.  Was trying to stay away from custom since that seems to be code for $$$$$.