Boat House Purchase Suggestions Thoughts. Not a house boat

Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
We may have the opportunity to purchase a boat house for our boat with the yacht club in our town. I have never done this before so I was curious if anyone had any insights as to any possible hidden problems I may run into. They said all the fees for the boat house are included in the Yacht club fees after I purchase the house from the previous owner. I need to discuss it further with the club maybe this week. 
1997 Bayliner 3988
Post edited by Aqua_Aura on

Comments

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As in to keep the boat in? Or a water based house?
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Fiend of mine had one here and it was awesome. Was attached to the back of his very nice home, was big enough for a 28’ regulator and had hoists to keep it out of the water. He did have an issue when he was selling it. Buyer did the right thing and had someone (structural engineer? I don’t know) inspect the pillars and a couple of them were “bad”. He ended up taking money off to cover buyer making repairs later. So depending on how expensive this is you may want to have the structure properly inspected. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I think really the only parts to worry about are the piles and any break walls as these support the building and are the expensive parts to fix. Anything above that is just a regular garage basically.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Willhound said:
    As in to keep the boat in? Or a water based house?
    It is just for the boat with no other area for living or recreation. 

I didn't think about having someone inspect the wood floats even though that now seems obvious. I'll have to track down a wood float inspector person 🤔. Above the waterline the structure seems solid and everything is visible so there shouldn't be any hidden rot. 

Market value seems tricky considering there is zero of these for sale publicly for reference other than a few in Portland Oregon but those are much larger and built out really nice so it's not a great comparison. This is the closest comparison I can find but the one I am looking at is shorter so the living area isn't there and the prices are very different, definitely not paying 60k for the one I'm looking at. 

Link similar but this listing is much nicer and longer by about 30'
    https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1948/custom-boathouse-hargraves-60x31-3692086/

Post edited by Aqua_Aura on
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s pretty cool @Aqua_Aura . Will definitely keep the boat nice and clean.
    2008 330EC
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That one on yacht world is freaking awesome. If we had something like that here I’d be psyched to have that for $60k and keep a 28’ center console in it. Can’t believe that is only $60k. So cool!!!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s crazy! $60k for that!!! Do you know how much that would be on Long Island!! Close to $400k I bet. I would be all over that too @Liberty44140 !
    2008 330EC
    Huh and I thought 60k was a lot 🤣. Guess there isn't gonna be much to compare to then. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    That is definitely very cool!  I thought you were just talking about a place for the boat.  Heck, it's a place for the boat and a house too!  Crazy cool!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

No I wish @Dream_Inn . The link I posted was just another one for sale. The one I am looking at is only about 30' long and just a garage basically. It isn't listed anywhere since it's within the yacht club. I may see it closer this week and take some pictures so that I can get some better opinions. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988