Options

Water heater doesn t work on 12v

Good morning , we have a rinker 2006 390, just want to confirm , the water heater should work both when we are connected at the dock of our marina (120v) and when we are not (12V). , right?  We noticed that it does not seem to work whne we are not connected. Is this normal? If not any suggestion why it might not work?

thanks in advance

Sandra and Stephane

Comments

• Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    AC only on the Hot hot water heater
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right as Earl said, AC only. So shore power will heat it, as will the generator when providing AC. Third option is that one of your engines should be sending coolant through the water heater as a heat exchanger to heat the water while you are under way. But no, 12v will not heat your water. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    scousinescousine Member Posts: 73
    Thank you gentlemen. Much appreciated 
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭✭
    Agree, look at one of the engines, mine is on the starboard, for connections to the heat exchanger not on the other engine. I have found after running the engines you’ll have much hotter water than on the shore power so be careful when using.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the 110 volt heating element is thermostatically controlled, the engine coolant heat exchanger is not. I found that in warmer temps the water was still hot enough for a morning shower when anchoring out after a days run. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The engine heats the water to engine temperatures. Those temperatures are higher than the normal 120* that the heating elements heat the water to on 120VAC. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭✭
    Exactly. Thus the burn warning.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/