Options

Waeco fridge maintains different temps at 120 AC and 12 volt

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You did say that the compressor was running when it got 54 inside right????
  • Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    what about the type of battery.  i have similar issues and i was considering replacing my house batteries with these expensive virgin lead odyssey batteries.  I bought one after installing my new stereo.  if the voltage gradually drops it could be an issue.  I do believe the recovery is super bad.  i have gotten in the habit of keeping my generator on and the cabin cool with 120v to the refrigerators when out.  My cockpit frige will not stay cool if its hot outside regardless.
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coil is across the top of the fridge. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I’m hearing a definite hum and assuming that’s the compressor.
  • Options
    what about the type of battery.  i have similar issues and i was considering replacing my house batteries with these expensive virgin lead odyssey batteries.  I bought one after installing my new stereo.  if the voltage gradually drops it could be an issue.  I do believe the recovery is super bad.  i have gotten in the habit of keeping my generator on and the cabin cool with 120v to the refrigerators when out.  My cockpit frige will not stay cool if its hot outside regardless.
    My house batteries are 2 Interstate lead acid deep cycle group 27’s.  I never let them get below 12.2 volts as measured at the panel.  And if I measure directly on the batteries, I get a reading of 12.4.  And this is with compressor running.  

I notice you don’t even have a dark hull.  But I suspect you get a lot hotter air temps where you are.  And as @Handymans342 says, we may all be suffering some from older compressors that lose some effectiveness with age.
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    The coil is across the top of the fridge. 
    Ok.  I guess forget what I said.

I might drop one of the fridge temp sensors under the trash can to get a reading on what kind of temps are produced in there.  And then put one in my daughter’s white Bayliner and see what the difference is.  
  • Options
    Spyderweb said:
    Yes, I’m hearing a definite hum and assuming that’s the compressor.
    Assume??? You know what that means. That may be the fan your hearing
  • Options
    The fan only runs when the compressor is running - unless of course the compressor is dead but that should mean no cooling at all. 
  • Options
    More info.  Left dock yesterday at noon.  Fridge was 37 after shorepower all night.  By 5PM out on anchor, fridge was 51, running on house batteries all day.  I had placed a temp sensor in hull to get idea of heat behind fridge with black hull.  Temp in hull and cabin was only 74, not bad.  By 7:30, fridge was 54, hull 74, cabin 76.  Fridge was only opened maybe 4 or 5 times all day.  (Was drinking ice water from ice maker a lot).  Volts on panel read no lower than 12.3, so direct on batteries would have been 12.5.

Back at dock at 7:30, by 8:30 on shorepower, fridge dropped to 47.  By midnight it was 39.

I did notice that at the dock, when I turned on fridge breaker, the hum coming from behind fridge stopped for a couple of seconds, then a sound like the compressor kicking in.  Shortly later, I turned off breaker, fridge went silent for a couple of seconds, then kicked on again.  And then same thing, when I turned breaker on.  I suspect that is just normal when switching back and forth between AC and DC.  

Is is possible that a compressor just won’t run as efficient on DC as on AC?

I know my gaskets aren’t air tight, but because temps recover so good at dock, there’s more going on than gaskets.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I think you're getting a little confused with the voltages the compressor is 1 voltage. When you switch from 120v AC to 12 volts DC an inverted takes over to supply the correct voltage to the compressor. What I would do is get a voltmeter and check the voltage at the compressor on Shore power then on battery power the voltage basically should be the same. At least that's how mine works
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    @raybo3So I should expect to read 110-120 volts at compressor no matter on AC or DC?
  • Options
  • Options
    @Spyderweb I don't remember what mine was but I think @Handymans342 is correct. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    I talked to the manufacturer and they said the primary reason was that you kept opening the door to check the temperature.  Recomended buying a yeti.  :)
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Actually you may see a higher DC voltage with the AC on
  • Options
    Not more than 10%
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I think I finally solved this one. 

The Waeco control unit won’t kick the compressor on if DC voltage drops below a certain threshold. One of my fridges (both 330 and 350) would not work below about 12.4 volts - it gives the dreaded two blinking red lights on the thermostat. 

I bought an adjustable voltage step-up unit on Amazon and set it at 14.5 volts. Problem seems to be solved! Hope this helps someone. 

Post edited by YYZRC on
  • Options
    @YYZRC, I’m still having same problem.  Only difference is I never get the flashing red lights.  After some research I’m leaning towards replacing the inverter/controller.  Apparently it’s a common problem with these fridges.  Where does your step up unit go?  Is there a downside to them?
  • Options
    I just disconnected the female spade connectors from the control unit and wired this module in-line. It takes the 12v power in and ups it to whatever you want. I zip-tied it to the coil next to the fan so that it gets some cooling. 

Downside is that it is inefficient I’m sure as it has heat sinks on it. But a lot cheaper than a new fridge! 
  • Options
    And cheaper than a $220 inverter/controller.  

By inefficient, meaning uses more battery?  So perhaps the fridge would draw 5 amps instead of 4 (or something)?
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    I think the efficiency is usually around 80% to 90%.  So if it draws 5 amps now, it will draw maybe 6 amps with the step-up converter.  
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do find that on my Rinker and cruisers the interior refrigerator light is brighter on ac than dc. Not sure what that means though….
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    @YYZRC, so is that wired in-line to the red positive wire going into the controller?

Also, have you got the Amazon link for the step up unit you got?   I can’t seem to find it.
  • Options
    I bought it on Amazon.ca so I’m not much help but the brand and description is in the pic above. 

I disconnected the circled wires and wired the step-up in line. Sorry I didn’t take pics of the step-up as honestly I didn’t think it would work!!

• Options
  • Options
    Looks the same to me. No soldering needed. There are screw terminals for the in’s and outs. 
  • Options
    Oh I think I see that now on the bottom picture from Amazon.  Looks like 2 inlet ports and 2 outlet.
  • Options
    Exactly!
  • Options
    Tested input dc voltage at dock yesterday.  With fridge off, 13.5 (charger was on), turned fridge on and it dropped to 11.5.  Compressor started but in a short time shut off.  Is this a sign of a bad connection (fuse box, ground buss, ?), or is that a normal drop?

If bad connection, and I add a voltage booster, is that apt to cause more heat at bad connection?
  • Options
    That’s what mine did. Compressor would cycle on and off constantly when on DC power. Worked fine on AC.