VesselView Mobile install on a 342...

I recently purchased a 2006 342 and I was thinking about getting the VesselView Mobile app for it.  Has anyone successfully installed this on a twin engine setup?  I have twin 350 MAG's which are SmartCraft capable but the boat does not have SmartCraft gauges so I'm not sure if the junction boxes are there or not.  I haven't poked around yet to find out.  I'm trying to determine what I need to purchase to make this happen.  Thanks!!  

Answers

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi there and welcome! I have the same year, same boat, and also my gauges are not smartcraft (no hours on gauges). This winter I looked in to this and from what I could see the harness is not ran from the engines to the dash like it would be if we had smartcraft gauges. Definitely can be added, but from what I read we would need about $400 in wiring and harnesses from the engines to the dash and then of course the kit for VV mobile so a $650 investment. Not bad but I decided to wait. If you decide to do it, it is super easy to run wires from the engine room to the dash. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Couple harnesses and a J box and you're there. Not hard at all. VV is plug and play except to have the engines labeled correctly which is easily done by a tech
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    I have an 03 an installed vesselview with the 4” display.  I bought everything at discount new via eBay.  Call Merc, they will give you a list of part numbers your boat will need then go shopping. 
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't need to run the wires to the dash. My VVM module is in the engine room and it works fine.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahh, great that they don’t need to run to the dash! Keep us posted on what you do, I’ll follow your lead  :)
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• lightfighter11blightfighter11b Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for everyone's input.  So I think what I need then is two SmartCraft harnesses, a junction box with enough ports, and the VV Mobile kit/app. Does this sound correct?
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 J boxes!  Harness from each engine to each j box. Then a combining harness that will go out to the bluetooth unit. I ran mine up by the subwoofer. Plus the caps for the open ports on the j-boxes. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I thought one 4 port box, 2 harnesses and a terminator. Each engine goes to the jbox, VVMM goes to third port and 4th is terminated. Unless you use the 4th to run to helm for other instrument connections. There is conflicting info, going to ask Merc or Wally directly to be sure.
    Post edited by Ian on

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• ALLFORARIALLFORARI Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    I installed recently. Didn’t purchase with the current deal so spent 275. You also have to purchase 2 cables, junction box, and terminator. Total was 450 or so for me but there is a deal now that will reduce that by $125. Well worth it. 
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I have an 03 an installed vesselview with the 4” display.  I bought everything at discount new via eBay.  Call Merc, they will give you a list of part numbers your boat will need then go shopping. 
    I did the same thing.  Love having the display in the dash.  With luck I'll get the fuel tank sender interface cable connected this spring.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• tricountytrailtricountytrail Member Posts: 186 ✭✭
    You don't need to run the wires to the dash. My VVM module is in the engine room and it works fine.
    How it you connect it to BOTH engines? Did you use a Phone? I want to add the app to my Simrad GO 9 SXE using Bluetooth with no cables is that possible?

• skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    No it only works with Android and iphone.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    To add to Simrad you need to buy the multi engine VesselView Link plus 2 harnesses + 2 j-boxes plus the multi-wake harness. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • tricountytrailtricountytrail Member Posts: 186 ✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    To add to Simrad you need to buy the multi engine VesselView Link plus 2 harnesses + 2 j-boxes plus the multi-wake harness. 
    Any part numbers or diagram on this set up

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Need the NEMA 2000 backbone too.  Easy install though. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI