How to Correctly Operate this Trailer Hitch

I just bought a Rinker Captiva 212 last summer.  I've pulled a decent number of trailers in my time but I will admit that I've never really seen a hitch like this.  Can someone please explain to me, from start to finish, what the correct procedure is to hook up, tow, back-up, and then un-hook this trailer?  I can get it done but I usually have a heck of a time getting the coupler to stay open while I'm hooking up.  Also I should mention that my understanding is that the lever that says "towing position" and "backup position" has to do with locking out the brakes when backing up which makes sense.  But I haven't had to worry about it yet as I'm pretty sure my brakes are not working which is another issue I plan to work on in the near future.  

Thanks

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have dealt only with a couple trailers but never saw one like that. Yes would agree that would be a lock out reversing. Your other issue cant make much of a comment other than clean and lube up- get those brakes working!
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surge brake override?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    The back up position would be to override the surge brake in reverse. Generally most trailers have a built in override I guess in this case there is a switch. 

As far as keeping the coupler open not sure what you mean. Usually you flip up the lock and set it on your tow ball then lock it down 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your trailer probably has drum brakes. You can move the lever to the other position if the brakes lock up when in reverse. Most of the time, drum brakes will not lock and allow you to back up. Disc brakes are known to lock up, that is why there is a 5th wire and it locks out the actuator when backing. My 232cc had the same actuator on its Trailmaster trailer. I rarely had to move the lever to back up. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have one like that too.... @Aqua_Aura nailed it... it keeps the surge from engaging while you're backing down a ramp, or generally in reverse.  

do you trailer a decent distance?  if so- i'd consider swapping couplers and introduce an electric over hydraulic system.  I trailer about 1/8th mile so i don't worry about trailer brakes at all- the first thing i did was remove them...   
    +1 to electric over hydraulic. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have drum surge brakes that free spin fine in reverse. The shoes are hinged and spring back in place when you go back in forward.  No need for a back up lever on my titan style brake set up.

Drum brakes give more pad to surface area than disks.  They do suck when wet but dry quickly.  

Electric brakes are nice, and mandatory in many areas but surge brakes when maintained are reliable and can be used safely.

No need for trailer brake controller with surge brakes.

I tow with a very heavy suv with very wide tires, a 1 ton on 3/4 ton suspension.  Im rated for 11,000 lbs towing capacity

I wouldn't fool with brakes on a 212 but with any lighter weight vehicle id make sure they are 100% operational.

If you can do the work yourself rebuilding a surge brake system is simple and cheap. Maybe 250 to 350 max many times.

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The word of caution, if you get in an accident, you don't have working breaks for your fancy boat my client cant afford and could not use anyway after all the injuries sustained while in an accident with you....might be good to fix your brakes,won't cost much and keep your family safe too ....just sayin....
    This is one of those things that depends on the state. Washington requires trailer brakes over a certain weight I believe and Oregon does not. I can't remember the exact details but I have checked into it before since I live on the border. Not sure what other states are but it can vary 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    Aqua_Aura said:
    This is one of those things that depends on the state. Washington requires trailer brakes over a certain weight I believe and Oregon does not. I can't remember the exact details but I have checked into it before since I live on the border. Not sure what other states are but it can vary 
    In PA, they require brakes on all axles. They also require an annual inspection on trailers with brakes. For years I never got my trailers inspected, but I do now. The shop that does my inspection repacks the wheel bearings, checks the brakes and lights. To me it is worth the $100 to have the peace of mind knowing that is should be safe. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    @Cableguy Greg  I just purchased a Captiva 192 and the trailer has electric brakes.  I don't know much  about them and would like to take it to the the place you mentioned that inspects them and repack the wheel bearings.  Can you give me the name of the place you use?      
    rkinross said:
    @Cableguy Greg  I just purchased a Captiva 192 and the trailer has electric brakes.  I don't know much  about them and would like to take it to the the place you mentioned that inspects them and repack the wheel bearings.  Can you give me the name of the place you use?      
    I would take my trailer to Davidson’s in Warrendale. He always did a good job on the inspection and would grease everything up for me. Their number is 723-935-4524. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    @Cableguy Greg Thank you very much for this information.  I am finding out they are surge brakes rather than electric brakes.  @halifax212 seems to know alot about the type of hitch I have and is giving me good information about it.