Stainless Waste Tank?

CnCCnC Member Posts: 142 ✭✭
Hey folks, not sure if I was dreaming or if I actually read this someplace but is having a stainless steel holding tank a bad thing? I can see it eliminating the "suction/caving in" thing that plastic might have but are there other reasons as well? We still have quite an odor coming from inside the cabin someplace and I've read several fixes that people have tried to eliminate it but could a lot of that be caused by the stainless- waste mix? I plan to change out the hose from the head to the tank for next year, replace the joker valve again, clean the area around the A/C (which seems to be where a different kinda smell than the cabin funk is generating from. Almost like an old uncleaned truckstop urinal). Anyhow, should I change the stainless to plastic??

Comments

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Is it coming from your shower sump? I think that’s the most likely culprit. 

At $1000 CAD for a new plastic poop tank I am considering stainless. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • CnCCnC Member Posts: 142 ✭✭
    edited October 2021
    I owe you a beer because you may have just solved a mystery for me. I was wondering that because that sump box looks like the compost juice that's left over in the garbage bins at work after the truck empties them. I'm starting there, thanks a million!!! Another question: Is there a way to clean the tank while still in the boat? The level gauge doesn't work so can I simply take the sensor out, clean it and then possibly send in a heavy duty brush of some sort on a thick wire to scrape up any odor causing residue? The waste tank that is.
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ever tried simply rinsing the tank?  Empty it, use a hose to fill it with fresh water, empty it.  

BTW one benefit of a plastic tank is that when your tank sensor stops working, you can see the level through the side of the tank.  
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pull out my tank saver valve and grommet 2-3 times a season and stick the water hose in and spray down the sides. Mid season and end of season after a pump out, I’ll use a long scraper I made to loosen up the waste that settled to the bottom. Fill the tank with fresh water and pump out again. It’s not the cleanest job but no smells!! I also use a waste tank treatment throughout the season.
    2008 330EC
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Ever tried simply rinsing the tank?  Empty it, use a hose to fill it with fresh water, empty it.  

BTW one benefit of a plastic tank is that when your tank sensor stops working, you can see the level through the side of the tank.  
    I agree with @l@LaRea and what I do. After pump out give a good flush with hose into pump out port as the pump out comes from the bottom and a good stream of water back down here not only cleans the hose but stirs up the bottom where the head flush only drops from the top. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

Never thought about the hose through the pump out port? That sounds like a great idea. Regarding the scraper, how did you fashion one up?
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CnC said:
    Never thought about the hose through the pump out port? That sounds like a great idea. Regarding the scraper, how did you fashion one up?
    I can get it in through the top vent hole I made for the tank saver. It can reach the entire bottom. Primitive but works!!

2008 330EC
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Agree.  Always rinse with a hose everytime I pump out... usually until the water being pumped out is relatively clearish
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    is the odor in the head?
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
    Sorry haven't been on much. The smell is more in the aft cabin really. My plan is to access the tank through the top and scrape out the interior and rinse, then replace the hose leading to the toilet and add a new filter cartridge. Some of the smell may have been coming from the shower sump as well so I have a new one to replace the old when the weather warms a bit