Drive work

Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am in need of a new shift boot on my B3 drive. Since I have moved west, I am unfamiliar with the going rates on such work. In Pittsburgh I knew the mechanic well. I worked at the marina on the side, so he always took care of me when it came to repairs. I stopped by the local shop and asked about a new shift cable, shift boot, bellows, gimbal bearing and engine alignment. I was told $1500. I am not sure if this is high, or right in line with the market. I am also having trust issues since I am new to the area and don’t want to be taken advantage of. 
2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
Go Steelers!!!

Comments

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    If the shift boot on the bravo 2 is a pain like an alpha I can see 1.5 boat bucks being a very reasonable price.  

I think all said and done it took me 4 hrs start to finish my gimbal/boots last year. 

My shop labor rate is 80 an hour but if I were doing a boat 110 to 120 would be more in line locally for marine repairs.  250 an hour to put you to the top of the line mid season to knock you out before the other guys.   Local shops are routinely  6weeks out even before covid during the warm months  
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    That’s about what I paid for the same work (including parts), but without the shift cable which I think adds an extra couple hundred dollars. They used the Merc “transom rebuild” kit. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea I on the 342 I had both B3s done in 2017. Bellows, boots, gimbal, alignment… the transom kit. Was $3k total.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if it would be worth it to pull her to Syracuse and have @Alswagg work on it. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a 6 hour pull one way for ya?  drop it of for a week then go back. I like AL but I would not. Unless you are unsure of the guy's doing the work. You know Al will do it correctly.
    Boat Name : 

@randy56 I moved to just north of Champaign Illinois. It’s around 2 hours to Syracuse. My issue here is I don’t know any mechanics local to me. I just don’t want to get the wool pulled over my face. I know Al would have it done correctly. He is the closest mechanic that I trust at this point. 
    Go Steelers!!!
    @Alswagg got any recommendations for Greg over in his neighborhood? 
    Boat Name : 

Alswagg said:
    I really don’t know many other areas.      How close is Clinton marine? 
    If you are talking about the guys that ran the marina at the lake, they lost the contract with the state. They purchased a shop close to me called Loda Marine. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 199 ✭✭
    Clinton Marine had some major legal issues & ended up closing.
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
    @captkevin If you live up that way can you recommend someone to Greg. He is new to the area.  
    Boat Name : 

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I can hear Al saying why did I open my mouth lol....we all step in it don't we?