World's worst boat tool kit

LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
I bought this mechanics tool kit years ago.  You look at it on the store shelf and think Wow, 200 pieces - surely that will have everything a boater could ever need!  

Here's why it is terrible:
  1. No matter where you're working, you have to bring the entire 30-pound box.
  2. Can't bring it into the engine room because opening the clam-shell lid requires a huge flat area (1.5 x 3 feet).
  3. The pieces are not secured.  If you accidentally bump the case while it's open, everything goes flying and you have to waste 20 minutes sorting it out.
  4. Does not include ratchet extensions or u-joints.
  5. It has 1/2" drive sockets, but only 9-13 mm!  Who needs a 1/2" drive for bolts that small?
  6. The sockets include four copies of sizes you don't need, but none of the sizes you do need.  
  7. Includes both inch and metric sizes ... when will tool makers figure out that I want one or the other, but not both?
Who wants this POS tool set ... free local pickup in Virginia.  

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LoL!!
    2008 330EC
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I purchased a similar kit years ago. It was a Kobalt kit from Lowe’s. I ended up getting a soft bag for it and the socket rails that hold the sockets in place. That has helped me out tremendously. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Write "boat tools" on the cover and sell it for twice what you paid.

• Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    Find a nice soft sided bag and make your own tool set for the boat. Take what you need from this set and add what is missing 🤷🏽‍♂️
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    edited February 2021
    That is only good for the home shop.  I got an awesome one that I use all the time on the boat.  Every single piece is individually held in place, so you know if something is missing.  Also has all 3 socket sizes along with deep sockets.  It is all I have needed in the last 10 years I've used it on the boat.  I only wished I had ordered two or three at the $30 price tag I paid!!

I did find one that was similar at Sam's club last year that I had everyone on my dock buy, because it was almost the same but also had ratcheting wrenches.  I just wasn't sure how well the sockets would hold in place after a couple years, so I didn't get it for myself.  But, they do hold in place and seem to be good so far.  Here is that set:

I think when I bought them all, they were on sale for $60.  I think it's a decent set. As far as opening it up, I do that on top of the engine or the generator.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

edited February 2021
    That's nice it comes with the ratcheting box end wrenches. I bought a set in the spring and those are life changers. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL agree! I have a similar mechanics set but it stays at home and only comes to the boat if I am working on a specific project where I know I will need this. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this too much to ask:  I want a socket set that is ONLY metric, ONLY 3/8" drive, with standard and deep sockets, ratchet and extensions ... all in a compact case with a labeled captive holder for each tool.

Then I want five more separate cases:  1/4" metric, 1/4" SAE, 3/8" SAE, 1/2" metric and 1/2" SAE.  

I don't want a set that tries to be everything for every job.
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    I have one of those “everything for nobody” kits that confusingly had every socket except 14mm. Guess which socket I needed?!

Naturally, there’s no place to store the 14mm that I purchased individually so it’s most likely lost now. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Is this too much to ask:  I want a socket set that is ONLY metric, ONLY 3/8" drive, with standard and deep sockets, ratchet and extensions ... all in a compact case with a labeled captive holder for each tool.

Then I want five more separate cases:  1/4" metric, 1/4" SAE, 3/8" SAE, 1/2" metric and 1/2" SAE.  

I don't want a set that tries to be everything for every job.
    and you want all of the sockets to be 6 point and not 12 point!

• TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    I purchased a similar kit years ago. It was a Kobalt kit from Lowe’s. I ended up getting a soft bag for it and the socket rails that hold the sockets in place. That has helped me out tremendously. 
    Greg - What type of socket rails did you get? ABS or aluminum? I'm in the process of doing the same. Was looking at these...https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01M5DN7M9
    On the note of tools I will have the snap install tool available soon if anyone needs them I can have them shipped to you. I will make a post when they are done. 

Should have the grommet tool as well for tarps and canvas for either repairing or adding the metal grommet. 

They will be available free to forum members as I am never looking to sell anything on here or advertise. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    @Aqua_Aura what snap install tool did you end up going with?
    2008 330EC
    For me personally I ordered the press n snap tool but I still haven't used it. I wanted to wait till after winter before we installed the new windscreen canvas we bought. 

We are manufacturing the more common one being the vise grip style. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    Generous @Aqua_Aura but you should keep it.  I replace a few snaps each season as they wear out or tear through.
    edited February 2021
    The ones I will give out are the ones we are manufacturing. I have 2000 sets being made to be sold on Amazon. I can spare a few 😄

It's taking longer than usual to get the finished product because we started in December so the holidays really slow things down. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    Aqua_Aura said:
    On the note of tools I will have the snap install tool available soon if anyone needs them I can have them shipped to you. I will make a post when they are done. 

Should have the grommet tool as well for tarps and canvas for either repairing or adding the metal grommet. 

They will be available free to forum members as I am never looking to sell anything on here or advertise. 
    Awesome! Thanks! I install snaps and grommets all the time the old fashioned way. Will keep an eye out 

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Aqua_Aura said:

Awesome! Thanks! I install snaps and grommets all the time the old fashioned way. Will keep an eye out 

That would be great!  My pliers one just is junk.  The snaps just keep coming off!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Aqua_Aura said:

Let me know when available @Aqua_Aura

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

edited June 2021
    @LaRea did you get a tool set together? I am gonna get one organized and was curious what you came up with. I think I technically only need metric sockets and wrenches? I have a junk HF one and the ratchet and wrenches are terrible. 

Also realized how long ago I posted about the snap install tool. Well it's finally done.... Took long enough. Still waiting for them to arrive by ship. 

We also did the grommet install tool for eyelets on tarps or canvas. I'll get those posted as well. 

Sorry it took so long. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    I bought two Milwaukee Packout socket sets -- metric and SAE.  Nice set of tools.  The sockets have a square end so they don't roll as much.  Pretty good ratchets.  Decent selection of deep and standard sockets, plus extensions and a U-joint.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184884839670

Amazoncom Milwaukee 48-22-9482 32-Piece Metric 38 in Mechanics Ratchet  and Socket Set with PACKOUT Case Home Improvement
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TonyG13 said:
    Greg - What type of socket rails did you get? ABS or aluminum? I'm in the process of doing the same. Was looking at these...https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01M5DN7M9
    I just saw this. I got the plastic ones from Harbor Freight. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    i have used this kit for several years now.  good quality and everything is locked into place.  Its also pretty reasonably priced.  Keep an eye on amazon and you can pick one up for $70-$80.

2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • toolmaker312toolmaker312 Member Posts: 96

Kobalt 364-Piece Household Tool Set with Soft Case

Item #1339544Model #10031 Kobalt Household Tool Sets 10031

I bought this from Lowes earlier this year. I did add deep dish sets from harbor freight.
    So far pretty happy with them.
    Here's my latest pet peeve on toolboxes:  Why does the removable tray always have a hole in the bottom, like the one shown here? 

The answer, of course, is that a tray with no hole would cost more to build.  But the hole makes the tray useless for storing small items, because they fall into the bottom and you have to dig to find them.  I can't find a plastic 16" toolbox with no hole in the tray.

I agree with you @LaRea . I’ve been trying to come up with a solid way to close that area off.
    2008 330EC
    Yep it’s cost. The plastic savings is pennies, that’s not the issue, but the tool to make that tray with no hole could be $100k+ more than what they used to make that tray. 

I've used gorilla tape to close them off, but it doesn't last.  

I need to replace my big, 25-pound toolbox with two smaller, lighter ones.  Yesterday I got reprimanded by the Admiral when I accidentally bashed the toolbox into the wood door of the forward cabin.  Can't let that happen again! 
    JB Weld does it all!
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    JB Weld does it all!
    I once fixed a cracked engine block with JB Weld and got another 40,000 miles out if it. Right between two cylinders at the head.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270