New boat prices

benvenuttiokibenvenuttioki Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
I knew boat prices were way up, but this is from the 2022 Boating Buyers’ Guide. Holy crap!!! Who the heII would pay $1.1 M for a outboard-powered bow rider?!

Post edited by raybo3 on

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boating companies are going to price themselves out of business- the people that can afford this boat are not "boaters", one day it's a lambo, next day it's this boat and the following week they will have forgotten where they parked it.
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    @benvenuttioki

Ad does say 'well equipped'. 

$1.15M doesn't sound too bad - if you say it fast.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Last year my marina couldn’t get boats to sell 
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    That boat is ugly and expensive! The asymmetry hurts me. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
    edited January 2022
    Growing up my dad had a wood 42 foot pacemaker beautiful piece of craftsmanship 

oh nothing like the ride of a wood boat 

• GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    @GMSLITHO, I had a 1966 42' Pacemaker for several years, 15 tons of mahogany, great cruising boat
    My dads was a 68 he owned it for 25 years got destroyed hurricane sandy 
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A classic for sure! Beautiful.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grahamu said:
    @GMSLITHO, I had a 1966 42' Pacemaker for several years, 15 tons of mahogany, great cruising boat
    And diesel too don't forget
    My dad owned the boat for 25 years a labor of love 
    I spent many days helping with the upkeep and learned a lot about boats and boating 
    when he passed away my evil stepmom gifted the boat to my stepbrother he had it in the water 1 season and was way over his head with the expense 
    it sat on land in Haverstraw marina for at least 4 to 5 years  rotting away  then Sandy came and the boat was destroyed it was a sad end to her 
    @Handymans342, unfortunately not they were gas engines. Good thing was I knew how to service and repair them because of my apprenticeship in the aircraft industry.
    edited January 2022
    My dads boat was diesel two big Cummings motors 
    sure was nice not having to run the blowers and worry about explosions 
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Grahamu said:
    @Handymans342, unfortunately not they were gas engines. Good thing was I knew how to service and repair them because of my apprenticeship in the aircraft industry.
    What motors were they? Do you remember? Wood boats ride slow and steady but are a lot of maintenance. You basically need to leave them in the water or have the bottom glassed over. 
    What motors were they? Do you remember? Wood boats ride slow and steady but are a lot of maintenance. You basically need to leave them in the water or have the bottom glassed over. 

Unfortunately I don't remember exactly but they may have been Pacemaker marine engines. She was pulled from the water every  fall and when re-launched would hang in the slings for up to 36 hours until she tightened up and the bilge pumps could keep up. Had to re-caulk the seams a few times to help with it Also learned how to replace a few planks that had rotted.
    don't remember the motors  but it was left in the water with a bubble system I use to drop my boys off for hockey practice at Bear Mountain Saturday morning 5 am  and then go check the boat for him ,we would haul it in the spring paint and fix what was needed 
    it was usually out 2 to 3 weeks depending if the weather would cooperate .Rainey NY spring weather held up the painting part most of the time .1/2 the marina was wood boats and 1/2 fiberglass 
    My dad would often kid the guys with a glass boat telling them all they had to do for maintenance was wax 
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ran a small marina for a summer right out of college. Fellow had an old lapstrake wooden scow that he would fill with water on shore every spring for a week before pumping it out and launching. Even then I think I found it on bottom a couple times in the season. Had a Perkins 4 cylinder diesel. Early 40's vintage. He finally sold it to some collector with more dollars than brains that tried to "restore" it. Last I heard it was still on shore somewhere in the Muskoka's because they could never make it float.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the reasons I'm hanging on to mine, can't get anything nice for anything CLOSE to what I bought mine for.. nuts. 
    When my dad put the boat back in we would let it sit in the slings then throw sawdust in the water while we waited for the planks to swell the sawdust would help seam the planks  like I said maybe it was out 3 weeks but you could see right through some of the seams ,the doors and hatches would go all out of alignment when it was chocked up on land butback in the water everything would line right back up in a matter of a few days 
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never heard anything like that, interesting! Imagine the ships the explorers sailed in...those guys were nuts..sail right off the edge of the earth as far as they knew...
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    New prices are lunacy, why I’d never buy new.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/