Back to the Captain's Chair Repair

DonGarganoDonGargano Member Posts: 60
It's finally that time of year again up here in Ottawa, Canada.  Boat will go in the water some time in the next 5 to 10 days.  With gas at $1.90 a litre (3.7 litres to a gallon) now, I contemplated selling the boat, (a lot of people are doing that these days), but decided to hang on to it.  

I am re-visiting my Captain's chair project.  Was not really happy with the stability of the pedestal with the last repair, so I have removed the pedestal, the bolts, and the steel bars from under the floor.  

Instead of using marine plywood to build a base, I have opted to bolt a 1/8 inch, 12 x 16 aluminum plate to the floor.  Marine Plywood was going to cost me $300 for a 4 x 8 sheet (3/4 inch), without the mahogany veneer.  Then of course I'd have to apply fibreglass or some kind of waterproofing.  Getting the whole thing done professionally is going to run me a couple thousand dollars...so not there mentally.  (yet!)

Here is the part where I ask for your opinions and recommendations.  

Obviously I do not have easy access to the underside of the floor.   

Do I attempt to cut a bigger hole in the floor and try to bolt the aluminum plate to the underside of the floor.  Or will bolting it to the topside of the floor suffice?   

I'm using stainless steel hardware, and will install the bolts/washers up through the floor, with a washer and nut on the top side.  Figured about 8 bolts would work.  Before I bolt the aluminum to the floor, I'd bolt the pedestal to the aluminum plate, using marine grade caulk/silicone to seal everything up. 

Thanks folks.

Comments