Options

Gas fume detector

Hey guys. My 1995 300 has a Xintex gas fume detector and every time when we return from a cruise and plug the shore power back in, the alarm goes off a few mins later. I can hit the mute button and it never sounds again. Until we either plug the shore power in or if there’s a power outage and the power comes back on. I though these things were 12v powered?  What can I do to stop this from happening?

J

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Just curious...are you running your blower when you return from a cruise?  Maybe you actually have fumes?  As an experiment keep the blower on when returning to the dock.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    its 12 volts and should have power all the time the shore power shouldn't affect it 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Battery fumes (hydrogen or something, **** it I'm not a chemist Jim!) Will set off a fume detector same as a propane or gasoline.

Check your batteries as old batteries with dead or weak cells are common to do this and you can see them bubbling around the caps while charging.  

Also on a safety note, if that sniffer detector is over 5 years old it's due for replacement, they get sensitive when they pass their prime. Probably a good thing to remind boaters the sniffer is there and needs replacing. 7 years is max age if I remember correctly, I no longer have a gas motor so I don't worry about those anymore 

• Options
    JakesRinker300JakesRinker300 Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    I run the blower when cruising slowly and when I’ve tied up. This has something to do with the interruption and connection to shore power. 

skennelly said:
    Just curious...are you running your blower when you return from a cruise?  Maybe you actually have fumes?  As an experiment keep the blower on when returning to the dock.

• Options
    dropoutdropout Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    Same problem here when I turn the battery switches on. I replaced the sensor and it does the same. I will be replacing the guage with the new style Xintex. No issues with batteries or fumes as I monitored the issue during winter lay up. Fyi, I read that an alarm will go off on low battery also.