Options

Mercury Diesel’s 3.0L engine conversion

oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 740 ✭✭✭
I am wonder if any one had experience with the new Mercury diesel engine. Plus can a gas Rinker boat be convert to diesel one. I wonder how difficult can be to convert my 350 mag gas engine to the new mercury 3.0L diesel engine. 

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    You can make the convesion..expensive though. The outdrive will at a minimum need a ratio change since a diesel runs at lower rpm. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plus you would need a new generator unless you want to carry two fuels on board. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    I have someone who is coming to see my mercury engine plus my genset to make me a offer to buy it. It will be a completed packages for them. It the number are right I going to sale it and I will use the sales money to convert my Rinker to diesel. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting project!
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭
    @oscar1 - You are very ambitious! Wondering why you want convert? What advantages do you see diesel versus gas - other than the obvious flammability issues?  
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Wow!! Huge project! Very cool! @Handymans342 would appreciate it. 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Isn't the new 3.0 260hp?

Bayliner used diesels in their 2858 and 2859 models.  Boats of @5 tons. 

The 5.7 was faster than the diesels by about 5 to 7kts.  The 454 was nearly 12to 15 knots faster than the diesel.  

Expect your boat to be slower than your 5.7.  diesels sip fuel but at the expense of top speed and a much more narrow torque curve.

Bravo 3 of that era didn't hold up to diesels as well as a bravo 2.  I've heard the new bravo x models that are made for diesels are better but I'd still choose a b2 over a b3 for reliability. They rate outdrive for max HP but I find its the diesel torque pulse that eats soft metals and bearings in inside transmissions not necessarily the power.  

Before I'd settle on a mercury 3.0 package in anything over 23 ft I'd call the diesel marine experts in Texas who sell the marinized Duramax 6.6.  they import them from a Swiss company, a set up used in military boats,  Aussie and USA.  

You won't be putting the stress on the 6.6 you're putting on a 3.0. more torque means more speed.  The 6.5 should be faster than your 5.7. 

As for new "clean diesels" they don't like to idle for long periods of time.  Check into this before you buy.  Many newer inboard diesels require 2 hrs of running 80% or better throttle for some 20 to 30% of the total operation time.  This keeps your egr, injectors and rings from getting coked or carboned up.  This may not be an issue for you but for someone like me who uses their boat as a trawler with lots of fish trolling I usually have to make it a point to run it at 3200 rpms once a month for a good half hour.  

Either way if you get the 3.0 I'd love to know how she performed.  I'm not sure who makes their 3.0 now that their marriage with VW fell out after diesel gate.  

• Options
    I am looking at the new 3.0L 270 HP. Because it has the same mounting as my 5.7 mag, plus it is DTS and Joystick comparable, and their run in bravo3 XR. It is an easy swap. I own a diesel boat long time ago, and I love their distances range, not flammability issue, plus the torque. The reason I don't go and buy a new boat with diesel engine now, its because I made my 310 custom to our needs and I really don't want to start over again. We like to do long travel trips and my fuel range of 168 gallon it is a garbages right now. My friend has a littler open fish and its boat has 250 gallos of fuel capacity. we just did a 587 miles and it was a litter stressful in some distances because it was not fuel around in some areas. I being looking for some time to add more fuel capacity to my 310 and its is almost impossible to do it.  We also want to do the great loop with our boat and I believe diesel will be the best engine for the trip. I have someone to look my eng and genset for sale tomorrow. Then I will make my decision 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big undertaking,  Do your research. Interesting project though. Your logic makes since. And apparently $ are there to fund the project.  Shame Al is not around anymore to get advice. 
    Found this, interesting read. may help. 

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/837200-mercruiser-bravo-drives-diesels.html

And this one. https://www.justanswer.com/boat/5wvab-bravo-3x-stern-drive-powered-diesel-yamar.htmle,

I'm no expert just trying to help. That swap is above my pay grade.

Boat Name : 

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭✭
    randy56 said:

Shame Al is not around anymore to get
    I saw in the FB Rinker group a reply from him recently.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    randy56 I will look more into it, before I jump on it. I was talking with one of my marina neighbor  who has a sea ray 330 sundancer who took off his gas kohler genset and install a new onan diesel generator plus an individual diesel tank for it and let me tell you its is a great updated. He want to do the same as myself take off his gas engine and install the new diesel one. I will cont getting more info, so I can make a better decision for my need. thx for the inputs.
  • Options
    Here you can see the top corner of his new onan diesel genset, plus the diesel tank under his battery which it was custom made to support the weight of his batteries.

• Options
    I would hate to be the guy replacing the impeller!!
  • Options
    it is a bad pic angle. believe it is a lot of room on his eng bay
  • Options
    Who makes mercruisers new 3.0?  

• Options
    Mercruiser is make their own diesel eng now
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    It looks super similar to the VW TDI v6 which also looks super similar the the 3.0 Hyundai that recently was axed as many companies shift to a more EPA so called enviro friendly EV line and away from diesels.  Both were very light weight, torquey common rail v6 motors. 

I've ready that Fiat/Chrysler was supplying the new mercrusier 3.0 diesels via internet forum rumors.  All I've seen on their advertising and info page is "made in USA".  The Transit vans have 3.0 v6 diesels with the MB badge which has ties to Chrysler via ownership and USA based manufacturing facilities.   The new jeeps come with a 3.0 diesel option but I'm not sure if it's v6 or not.  That being said, if it was a motor designed with help of Mercedes diesel engineers it's likely a kick **** motor.    Again, internet rumor but I'd love to know.  OM642 is the engine I'm thinking of.  And yes used in jeeps and sprinter vans.

Back when mercrusier was selling the VW motors you could use a Ross tech cable (sub 400 bucks) to run your own diagnostics and adjust torsion value after timing belt change. Literally the same diagnostics tool you hook to your lap top to turn the day time running lights off in your Audi or Jetta. Saves hundreds in service charges from the Marina or dealer.  I wasn't sure if the new line of mercrusier could have the same potential but if they spent millions or billions making their own motor from scratch then having to get it EPA certified, is keep all but dealers locked out as well.