Volvo Beeping

mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
edited July 2022 in Engine Discussions
2019 Volvo V6-280 with SX drive.  About 11 hours total on it now (sat in storage for a number of years.  Has been running ok when I got it the other week.  This weekend it started to beep once every minute and limits engine speed to 4200 rpm.  Manual says engine protection mode is activated.  If I come back the next morning, all good for a while but after running, it starts the beep code again. 

Any ideas? 

Mark
Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
2019 MTX20 Extreme

Comments

• mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    Not much online regarding diagnostics via audibIe tones.   I'm thinking bad raw water impeller but I ordered a Rinda Techmate Pro scan tool anyway.  No more guessing. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    I looked online when you posted and came to the same conclusion of basically needing the scan tool. Looked like even if you knew what the beep was for it didn't narrow it enough for repair. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    edited July 2022
    Got the Rinda Techmate Pro yesterday.  Scanned and found 4 codes this morning.  Cleared them then went for a test ride.  One kept coming up.... SPN 4237 FMI 0  Exhaust 1/LT Fuel Trim.  Basically this is reporting a lean combustion condition.  Online reading pointed me towards fuel restrictions, bad sensors, exhaust leak or stuck injectors.

First thing I did was run over to the local Volvo dealer {5 minutes away) and grabbed a new fuel filter.  I also put a can of Sea Foam in the tank. This boat has been in storage for over 3 years with a 1/2 tank of gas so who knows what is lurking in the filter.  I crawled down into the engine bay and I just started to slip the filter wrench over the filter when I saw that it was barely screwed on!  I replaced it with the new one and properly installed it.  After purging the air out, I made several runs on the lake to try and reproduce the fault but no go..... No faults! 

So much for the dealer checking everything over during prr-delivery inspection.  I'm thinking the filter was sucking air since I now realize the low pressure pump was gurgling every time I keyed up.

Couldn't have done anything without the scan tool. 

Mark 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    Good thing it was a quick fix. I would definitely start looking over everything now and make sure they did what they were supposed to do. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988