Filter for waste tank vent on 342

I’m helping my friend with his 2005 342,
getting a stank odor when flushing the head. I have a 320 and replaced the Big Orange soon after I bought it. 
What filter is OEM on the 342?
If there is none, where can we put one or a different waste vent filter?

Comments

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Any online filter will work. The $50 Voker that Amazon has will work well on the 342, or you can DIY one for $25 and then re fill it every couple of years for $8

My OEM filter on the 06 342 was way up above the generator fuel shut off valve. Get in there and look up and you can see the hose (and hopefully the old filter) going up and out the vent hole to outside
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    I’m more than happy with Big Orange replacement.

Pretty sure the 342 would have come with a SaniGuard 310002 when built. That filter was very common OEM back then.

It has a standard 5/8” inlet/outlet. Model discontinued but as Liberty said - any filter will work with 5/8” hook ups.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    My 342 didn't have one. I bought a big O and mounted in the storage area under the port seating. Very happy with it. 
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • AtlanticJimAtlanticJim Member Posts: 27
    Excellent, thank you all for the help I should be able to pick up a replacement tomorrow morning at my local shop
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you "google" Big O online there may be discount coupons. If I remember correctly Big O also has a built-in vacuum break in it that provides extra safety.
  • goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    I have a six year old Big Orange and have found that in the past few years it has been omitting  an odour in the engine room where it is mounted. I replaced all the gasket kit and charcoal charge and went over all the fittings and clamps but it is still there. Gets worse when the holding tank is over 1/3 and higher. I plan on replacing it with something else. 
    edited July 2022
    @goalie59 said:
    I have a six year old Big Orange and have found that in the past few years it has been omitting  an odour in the engine room where it is mounted.
    Could be your waste hoses are saturated. The lines themselves eventually permeate & give off the goods.

Waste vent filter is pretty mechanical. If you've replaced media & vent lines aren't plugged....I'd bet it's the sanitary hoses.

Post edited by mattie on
    Waste vent filter is pretty mechanical. If you've replaced media & vent lines aren't plugged....I'd bet it's the sanitary hoses.

Thanks. When I pulled it out of the old boat to put it in the new one I had to replace all the adjoining hoses. If you put your sniffer around the filter itself then you can smell the odour . I just think that maybe over time the plastic leaks the goods  
    Best to replace the whole vent filter system then.
    Although, if the big 1.5" sanitary hoses are 10+ years old. They should be on your to do list to replace. That's about their lifespan.
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never had that problem with my Big Orange itself.  

I’d be suspect of the vent lines themselves as a start.  You might check the vent line back to the holding tank and its connection.  My 342 had the vent fitting itself smaller than the vent tube from the factory. They just tried to smash it in place with the worm clamp…which was a fail.  Hence why I’d get random smell at times.  I fixed all that when I installed the Big Orange.  

You should check for tank cracks and the tube / connections for the evacuation tube.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Hoses seems ok but I will recheck. The smell is only there when the tank is half full and above and with your nose right at the big orange. I plan to replace it and will follow up. Thanks for your advise.