Stuck in forward. Won’t reverse rinker 270 fv 2001

So we had our cables replaced last season.  Now my husband had his friends out last weekend and he went to dock and discovered it would not go into reverse and the throttle shifter. (Sorry I don’t know the exact term) was not moving smoothly.  
They managed to get it back to the dock and the next day he said the shifter would move smoothly again but still no reverse.  
I am wondering if there was a component in the throttle control box that has become worn and was breaking when he could not easily move the handle but now is fully broken that would allow the handle to move.  
Does that sound possible?   I assume I can remove that control box, open it up and look for damaged components.  Mechanics around here are very backed up so I have taught myself some things and would like to see if I can troubleshoot.  Not knowing proper names is a hindrance.  Lol.  
Could you all please provide some troubleshooting guidance.  Thank you

Comments

• goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    Is your drive stuck in forward ? If so you may have a defective cone clutch. I had this happen to my old boat after a poor rebuild on one of my bravo three’s . Verify first that the cables are moving properly. The boat will have to come out of the water, there is a cover on top of the drive that can be easily removed to check the shifting of your drive 
  • cristykcristyk Member Posts: 29
    When that happens to you was there stiffness in the throttle?
  • SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    Had a similar experience several years ago when out for a test drive on a boat my daughter and husband were buying.  Coming back into the marina the salesman lost reverse.  Only had forward and neutral.  Very hairy docking.  Marina fixed the problem before the sale took place.  Was something very minor related to the shift cable.  Fixed while in the water.  Check out cable in engine room while someone works the throttle and see if something looks unhooked.
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    This happened to me and I just had to adjust the shifter cable behind the control. Basically it was adjusted to far forward so it would go into forward gear quick and easy but it was delayed into reverse eventually to the point reverse would engage but after the throttle was also engage. You may have a different issue though not sure. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you had cables replaced last season I'd suspect it just stretched a bit and needs adjusting. But as mentioned above, check the linkage in the stern where it engages on the transmission and see if hooked on ok and if any play. If that's good then I'd try adjusting it at the helm. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

When that happens to you was there stiffness in the throttle?

My shifter was completely jammed . I could not move it. Once the cable was taken off at the drive the shifter/ cable assembly were smooth to move. 
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I would think adjustment you have to move the barrel on the threaded rod here is a good link for some infohttps://www.sterndrives.com/mercruiserhelp.html