Generator issues - Oil & remote start

Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
So, I'm going to throw this one out there.  I've had some issues over the last 2 years, mainly due to some corrosion from a leaky water pump.  That took me some time to find it, but that issue has now been resolved this past spring. 
Two things happened this past weekend (while on the hook for 4 days).  The first was my remote switch stopped working.  Well, I know dug in and it was due to corrosion from the previous water leak.  I have a connection that the wire pulled out of the pin, or corroded off, on the remote connection.  Has anyone ever replaced those pins?  I bought one that I think is close, but probably not exactly it that I'll try tomorrow.
The actual connector (on this pigtail) is shown here:
I'll let you know if the pin works ok, but wondered if anyone ever messed with it and had a part number.
My other issue is I was low on oil and found some extra oil in the pan under the genny.  I'm also going to do some more investigation tomorrow (last weekend I just added more oil and soaked the pan up).  I'm going to start with easy things like check the oil fill area and bolts around the crankcase.  I know I do have some oil that has dripped down around the spark plug area, maybe from the oil fill area (which I don't use, I usually add oil where the little dipstick is).  I sure hope it is something simple!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If one pin failed, the others might fail too.  But, holy smokes -- $91 to replace the connector?  I'd be tempted to eliminate the connector and put heat-shrink butt connectors on every wire.  
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    LaRea said:
    If one pin failed, the others might fail too.  But, holy smokes -- $91 to replace the connector?  I'd be tempted to eliminate the connector and put heat-shrink butt connectors on every wire.  

So, I am going to try the new pin I have first.  I'm thinking it may work.  If it does, I may replace the other 3 as well. If it doesn't, I may just replace the entire connector with another that is better and more water resistant.  I did think about using something for just the 4 wires that actually go thru, but I kind of wanted to keep it original if I could.  I don't want to remove connector completely because then you'd have to cut if you had to pull genny out for some reason.

• rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    When I purchased my 390 the generator was leaking oil from the valve cover gasket.  Oil would accumulate in the generator base just as you describe.  Replaced the gasket and all is good now.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hear you, but I view genny replacement as a once-in-a-boat-life repair.  

If you eliminate the connector now, you'll have guaranteed reliable performance from a known problem area.  Someday, if you or a future owner ever need to pull the genny, cutting and reconnecting the wires will take only a few minutes of extra work. 
    Well, the pin seemed to work and do the trick.  I also found a wire that has an inline fuse that was rusted at the fuse.  That was a reason my light on the panel, when genny is running, didn’t come on.  That is now fixed as well. 
    For the leak, thank you @rmrstlmo !!  I cleaned everything up, which took a while.  Then I checked the little valve covers. Both were loose and showed that the oil trail was coming from them. I ran the genny for about 15 minutes and a couple drops were coming from both sides.  I will order new gaskets and if I don’t change them before winterizin, which I do by end of October, I can change it any time this winter.  I can at least run the generator and know where to keep an eye on for the next couple weeks.

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dream_Inn the oil that you saw after you tightened the screws could be what was left over on the gasket that you weren’t able to clean and dripped down. Curious if it will stay dry!
    2008 330EC
    I haven't really used the generator since I tightened the screws, but I got new gaskets.  I plan to change them out this evening.  @rmrstlmo is there anything I should know about when replacing them?  It sure looks very simple, but I thought I'd ask since you've done it already.

• rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    Nothing special that I remember.  It was pretty straightforward; just clean the surfaces of course (but I'm sure you know that).  

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

rmrstlmo said:
    Nothing special that I remember.  It was pretty straightforward; just clean the surfaces of course (but I'm sure you know that).  

Yes, I'll definitely clean all surfaces off so that it seals back up well.  I'll have to check what the torque is on them as well.  I'll be glad when this leak is fixed.  I hate having any mess in my bilge.  It was enough that the material under the pan still has oil seeping out of it.  Thank you again for your help!