Antifreeze

GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
Started to check prices and looks like they have increased dramatically. CDN $s

Comments

• goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    Crap , that’s ridiculous . No need to pay extra for the -100 though .  
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started looking myself. It was $16/bottle at Hammond Indiana a few weeks ago for -100. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought 15 gal of -60 from west marine last week when they sent a 25% off coupon for all west marine branded products. Ended up paying $9.50 per gallon. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow I still have 10 gallons of the pink stuff up in NY.. maybe I should fly up and sell for 10 dollars a gallon. Think it was 1.99 at walmart. 

• boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 797 ✭✭✭
    I bought 4 gallons of -50 at Lowes yesterday on sale for 3.99. We keep it in an underground mine so really don't need to winterize but I do anyway in case we get a flash freeze late March after we bring it home
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $3.98 for the pink -50 at Walmart.
    2008 330EC
  • Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    That cheap stuff contains alcohol. I heard it is bad for rubber components and hoses.  I Think it would be ok for fresh water system but a little bit leery to use in air conditioner. What do you guys think?
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    FWIW, I've been using "cheap" stuff in everything but my motors for as long as the stuff has existed.
    I have been thinking the past couple years now about not putting anything in my fresh water lines.  I blow out everything with an air compressor.  I just always feared that some residual would freeze.  But I do tend to make sure everything is out.  I don't blow out the AC first (cause I take advantage of it being primed) but I could blow that out as well.  Not putting it in the fresh water isn't due to the cost, but really just a pain to get it out in the spring (I don't put it my tank).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made a little hose to connect to the fresh water pump to get the pink stuff in without adding af to the tank. It has fittings for both my fresh water pump and my washdown pump. I dunk the unused end in the jug of af. 

In the spring I just fill the fresh water tank (plus some bleach) and let it run. 

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do the same @YYZRC , so much better than putting the pink stuff in the tank!
    2008 330EC
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn said:
    FWIW, I've been using "cheap" stuff in everything but my motors for as long as the stuff has existed.
    I have been thinking the past couple years now about not putting anything in my fresh water lines.  I blow out everything with an air compressor.  I just always feared that some residual would freeze.  But I do tend to make sure everything is out.  I don't blow out the AC first (cause I take advantage of it being primed) but I could blow that out as well.  Not putting it in the fresh water isn't due to the cost, but really just a pain to get it out in the spring (I don't put it my tank).
    Agree, I put the cheap marine/rv -50 in everything except generator, main engines, and freshwater system. Have been doing that on my boats for 15 years. 

Also agree with the blowout on freshwater. I attach my 6 gallon compressor to the city water inlet and blow out everything on that system at around 40-50psi.  This is my 3rd year doing that. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    One year we used a cheaper -50 and come the spring we had a number of complaints re corrosion of sink and shower drains due to salt in the antifreeze. 
    I had that corrosion in my boat when I bought it but I never equated it to the antifreeze. I had to replace the sink drain. Interesting!
    I should have purchased the stuff at the marina a few weeks ago. Looking online, it's $23/gallon for -100. I use that on my engine. If there is any residual water, it only dilutes it by 20* or so. The good pink stuff is $11/gallon online right now. I have a feeler out from a place in Pittsburgh that usually sells it at a great price. My sister will be road tripping here in a month, so I might have her pick me up some. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Just paid $7.98/gallon at my marina for the -50. Another boater asked about the -100. Said the -50 will get slushy at -20C. Im thinking of returning it for the -100 now. trying to get off of the automotive stuff I've been using.
  • GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    Cdn Tire Winter Proof Plumbing Antifreeze $7.99/Gal safe in plastic and "metal" pipes. They have cheaper brands but they are safe in plastic pipes only.
    That’s what I use. 
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    -50 is the burst point.  It doesn't matter when it gets slushy or even freezes...it does not expand like water so that's why it's rated to -50.  I myself use -100 in my engine and -50 in my water system.  People freak out when they put AF in the freezer and see it frozen the next day.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    I was looking through my old orders from Wholesale Marine for -100. In 2019 it was $11.56/gallon, 2020 it was $11.99/gallon, 2021 it was $13.99/gallon. This year it was $21.49/gallon. It really went up. I was going to order the StarBrite -50 from Defender. They had it for $9.99/gallon, which for alcohol free, I didn't think it was too bad. They wanted $72 in shipping. WTF??? I got the same stuff, same price from West Marine for $9.99 shipping. 
    Go Steelers!!!