Merc 350/377 Balance Point?

YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2022 in Engine Discussions
I need to replace my steering pins once the season is over.  My plan is to move the engines forward around 14" which should give me enough space to unbolt and remove the transom assemblies. 

I intend to build an A frame on either side of the hull with a beam that spans the cockpit by which I will lift the engine.  I'm planning to make a temporary mount for the engine to sit on once I move it forward.  It looks to me like the mounts are near the mid-line of the engine; does anyone have a sense of what I can expect in terms of weight distribution?  I need to jury-rig something to keep the engine from toppling when it is in the temporary forward position since the transom assembly won't be there to support the rear.

@Grahamu I know you had your engines out - thoughts?
2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
Post edited by YYZRC on

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Is there a reason you're not removing the engines?  It makes the job much safer, faster and easier. 

Think of the time and money you'll spend to design and build an A-frame, rig the temporary foundations, and move the engines.  A local crane service can probably remove and reinstall them for $400.  Then the transom work will be so easy that you'll actually enjoy it.  

Either way, hoisting the engines will be faster with a engine leveler like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Torin-Engine-Hoist-Crane-Accessory/dp/B004PX4YCI

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Thanks @LaRea - that leveler is slick.  A no-brainer.

I would have to pay the marina to pull the engines (cannot bring in an outside contractor) or I would have to move the boat off site for the winter (pain in the rear).  Marina quoted 10 hours/engine for re-and-re, and I would have to do it all before shrink wrap.

I will order an outdrive jack like @aero3113 purchased so I can bring the drives and transom assemblies home for the winter.

To be honest, I'm looking forward to the challenge!
  • GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    I had to remove my port engine as the vacuflush system sits in front of it with about a10" gap. I agree with @LaRea, take them out, trying to work around them will be frustrating at best. It will also allow you all sorts of room to check the rest of the compartment. I used a forklift which is more manoeuvrable than a crane and it also allowed me to check the engines thoroughly along with servicing them.
    @YYZRC, just read your last post and 10 hrs per engine is excessive. 10 hours for both along with alignment is more than adequate. You can disconnect/reconnect all the services to save marina time. If you do it yourself you will need the alignment tool.
    edited September 2022
    I know, 10 hours/motor is crazy.  If it was 10 hours total I would just get them to do it.  That 10 hour/motor quote does not include removing/reinstalling the drives!
    @Grahamu did you go with OEM steering shaft replacements?  Looks like they are $500+?!
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Upgrade to the SeaCore steering shaft. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    @YYZRC, if you are referring to the steering pins yes, I went with the Mercruiser stainless steel pins. I don't remember the exact cost but I was a dealer at the time and I think they were around $220 ea list. less 40%.
    Under warranty this is what Mercury would pay the dealership and that includes re and re all systems.

Wow that’s shameful what they quoted me. 
    I don't want to mislead you, flat rates are based on the perfect workshop, overhead gantry, the right equipment and tools which doesn't happen in a marina environment. We would generally double the flat rate if the boat was in our shop. It might be useful to sit down with the service manager and explain what you're willing to do and what you expect of them and see if they're willing to bend. 
    edited September 2022
    At a normal marina that would be possible, but with MLM having control of everything it's either suck it up and pay or DIY it.  They have lots of other boaters that are willing to pay full freight; no need to accommodate some schmuck that wants to save a bit of money.
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to open up a shop that’s “for the costumer”. If you have the right equipment and people working for you you can make double the money and keep costs down for the customer. I understand that rent and taxes are up, but a shop shouldn’t gouge just because the customer has deep pockets.
    2008 330EC
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    Do they have a yard you'll be setting this gantry up in? Can't you rent a boom truck or small crane and lift it out yourself? Sound like they have no issue with you doing it, just no outside contractor. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    My cousin rented a gantry when he pulled his motor in his SR 240. From what I remember it was very reasonable. Actually he rented it to install it. He had a fork lift come to his house to pull it.
    2008 330EC
    I live two hours from the marina; not really feasible to pull the motors and then store them somewhere for several months. Tried to get indoor storage for the boat but it’s full. This is the only way - or I live with leaky pins.