Options

Refinish radar arch

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
I did not list on the what did you do to your boat today thread cause I aunt dine it yet....arch looks like it is a clear coat finish as it is coming off here and there- repaint with awgrip paint? Not sure what to do with it.....

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pics or it didn't happen!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    I would remove the fittings and just take a buffer to it.  With the work i did to my radar arch last winter unless a previous owner painted it the arch is just gel coat.  Painting it on the boat is going to be a pain.  Removing it is not fun either.  Buffing might surprise you.

It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    @davidbrooks yes, thats what I thought it would be is gelcoat but the flaking off of something "clear" let me to believe it was painted and not gelcoat under it.....I will try, Got nothing to lose at this point!

• Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    Generally, sprayed on gelcoat on aluminum arches is quite thin.

Just an FYI. If you go at it with a buffer like you would the hull - easy to burn thru.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    I use nothing heavy...which is why it is taking forever...
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    The arches have a really thick coat of filler over the aluminum. Always be careful with the buffer but pic an area that is easier to spray if you do burn through. Spraying paint or gelcoat is not easy and I ended up just rolling mine on them sanding and buffing.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Yuk....I am waiting for some new pads for my 3" random orbital buffer...I'll try that first...and the edges at the base have minor burn through I guess...