SS Edmund Fitzgerald

TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
46 years ago today the SS Edmund Fitzgerald sank in Lake Superior northwest of Whitefish Point, Michigan.

After the Titanic, probably one of the most infamous sinkings.

NOAA put out an informational website about what happened. The "Mapping the Final Voyage" section is particularly interesting.

Here's a link to the site...

https://noaa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=858309daa74f4e6ebf81f32d128f7ed8

"Lord be good to us, for the sea is so wide and our ship is so small."

Comments

• kordokordo Member Posts: 229 ✭✭
    Nice website.  Thanks.
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very cool, thanks for posting!
  • goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    That is such an eree balid, sends chills up my back every time I hear it. Great story of how nasty the Great Lakes can be this time of year. 
  • halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    @TonyG13  Great post. Reading the timeline of the journey  had my full attention . When thing go bad on the water they happen fast.  
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    Agree @halifax212 the NOAA timeline was very cool. 25ft waves & snow. Not good.
    We get some really serious blows down here at the south end of Lake Huron. Superior is a whole other animal.

in a bit of bad taste....a boat buddy of mine said:
    mistake was letting the cook call the shots.  

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    @TonyG13  Great post. Reading the timeline of the journey  had my full attention . When thing go bad on the water they happen fast.  
    Thanks. Reading the timeline I was amazed at how much detailed information that had about the incident. And that help was so close, but yet so far. 
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    all very interesting. didn't know how treacherous the great lake could be.  Big storms : Of the more than 6000 ships that have found their graves under the icy waters of the Great Lakes, During the Fall Storm of 2017, buoys measured waves up to 28.8 feet just off the shorelines of Marquette and Alger counties.  2001. Winds over 55 mph were reported on Lake Superior along with waves over 25 feet over western Lake Superior. This storm also produced a three-day snowfall of over 30 inches.

Edmund had17 years of pounding, perhaps metal fatigue?
    Boat Name : 

47 years today.

Time flies!!!!
  • mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    As a 12 year old living in a town with a huge connection to the Great Lakes, the Welland Canal(s) and shipping (St. Catharines Ontario), I remember the day like it was yesterday.

Mark 
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

edited November 2023
    Bump - Nov 10th

Post edited by mattie on