2022 Season Summary

GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
Finally got around to summarizing my Log Book for the season and following are the totals:
Genset 21 hours, Engines 77 hours each, travelled 729 miles, used 698 gallons of gasoline. Total fuel purchased $6,211.00 at an average of $1.99/L or $7.94/G. Averaged 1.04 MPG.
Note on fuel: At the beginning of the season our Marina had a promotion on fuel at 2021 season price, I filled up as it was 30 cents a liter cheaper, 662 liters. BIG MISTAKE!!. It was 2021 fuel and it's octane level was reduced. my fuel consumption went to 1.11 GPM. After adding octane boost and top offs of premium and mid grade it came down 0.87 GPM. If I had taken on fresh fuel from the beginning it would probably have saved about $500.00.
Due to poor weather in October I ended up with 300 liters more in the tanks. I like to empty the tanks by season end so have added fuel stabilizer and octane boost in spring.
It was a great season, slow start but by middle of June the hot weather came in. Ventured as far north as Parry Sound in Georgian Bay, as far east on the Trent Canal as McKracken Landing on Stoney Lake. Many days and nights at anchor.
Looking forward to next season, meeting new friends and what we will explore.

Comments

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Great season, @Grahamu ! Fascinating results with the old gas as well. Do you try to account for the extra weight of the full tanks in your GPM calculations or do you always run at half full or more?

I always run between 30% and 60% fuel except at the start of the season when I fill the tanks completely. I watch for the gas truck to make sure it’s not old gas - the tank at the marina is quite small so they get deliveries about 3x per week it seems. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    @YYZRC, I normally run around 1/2 tanks as most of my weekend trips to anchorages are less than 40 miles return. At the beginning of long trips I always fill up at the start.
    At the south end of Lake Simcoe in Keswick is a Pioneer Road Station which also has a small fuel dock for boats selling Regular with Ethanol and Premium without it. The fuel is priced at 15 cents above the road price. With a Pioneer Journie card and a CIBC Visa you save another 3 - 10 cents a liter. There can be a wait to get on the dock but I normally will go there late Sunday or during the week. The savings over marina prices is at least 40 cents a liter, well worth the 5 mile trip over from Lefroy.
    On long trips I don't find full tanks make a lot of difference in fuel consumption, I also do not take into account the fuel used by the Genset. I find my VVM very accurate more so than the analogue gauges but never get below 200 liters. 
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What an awesome find that gas station is!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was always my favourite.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Grahamu you have my envy.  This was my lightest boating season ever:  only 19 times underway, and only 27 engine hours.  That's a third of my usual totals.  I had a fantastic summer, but most of it didn't involve boating.  

Like you, I don't try to plan around tank levels.  I also don't bother trying to time tidal currents on the Potomac.  If I did, maybe I could save a dollar here and there, but it doesn't drive my planning.