Vacuflush Pump on Timed Relay

YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
Looking for a wiring diagram for my 140 series Vacuflush. I plan to add a momentary switch on a timed relay to control the vacuflush pump.  This way, I won’t have to worry about a vacuum leak causing the pump to run excessively.

The cut blue wire is interesting. Rinker wiring at its finest  :#

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
Post edited by YYZRC on

Comments

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Attached PDF was the winner, thanks @Grahamu !

• GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    Looking for a wiring diagram for my 140 series Vacuflush. I plan to add a momentary switch at the head so I don’t have to worry about leakdown.

How is that going to work?
    Planning to use a timed switch module.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07DGRQMBM
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @YYZRC I'm not sure what you mean by leakdown.  Are you saying the vacuum pump runs too often?  
    Yes what are you controlling?
    edited November 2022
    Sometimes hair or other debris gets caught in the loo and it doesn’t seal. The vacuum slowly leaks and then the pump runs. I always shut the breaker off at night and when not at the boat for fear of the toilet losing it’s seal and the pump burning out. 

By adding a momentary switch and timed relay, I eliminate the risk of pump burnout as the pump will only be powered for a defined period of time after the momentary switch is pressed. 
    I have always turned off mine along with the water pump and hot water heater when leaving the boat. I can normally hear the vacuum pump except when the engines are running. Let us know how it works out.
    Grahamu said:
    I have always turned off mine along with the water pump and hot water heater when leaving the boat. I can normally hear the vacuum pump except when the engines are running. Let us know how it works out.
    I do the same when I'm off the boat. I also try to remember to turn off those same breakers when underway.

For me and the Admiral it's not big deal to deal with the vacuflush breaker but I'm training a 7 year old first mate as well.  I've woken up in the middle of the night to the sound of the vacuflush pump running because he didn't side-step the pedal enough or some toilet paper got caught or...
    Fully understand, had a 3-1/2-year-old on board one weekend who used the toilet often on her own, so constant monitoring.
    Kids are the best and the worst! 
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    Kids are the best and the worst! 
    Agree 1000% !! 😂
    2008 330EC
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    good thread, following it.....VacuFlush is pretty slick when it works well, haven't had any real bad experiences with ours. 

Bought our brand new 246BR in 2007.
    My little daughter dropped a finless brown in the porta-potty within 15mins of leaving the dock. FFS.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I count myself as lucky.  In 10 years, I had maybe once or twice that the pump wouldn't hold vacuum overnight.  The only maintenance I've ever done was wiping the flush ball with a Clorox Wipe.  
    My first mate takes dumps bigger than his arm and uses a whole roll of TP.
    In the summer I had a feeling the duck bills were about to fail and sure enough on our last day of a 9 day trip they did. Luckily we were on a lock wall with power and water. I had also watched the attached video before leaving on the trip. Payed off because I would have been struggling with the 2 on the right , knowing to remove the 4 bolts holding the pump to the tank.

How to Replace VacuFlush Toilet System Duckbill Valves on a Boat - YouTube
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    LaRea said:
    I count myself as lucky.  In 10 years, I had maybe once or twice that the pump wouldn't hold vacuum overnight.  The only maintenance I've ever done was wiping the flush ball with a Clorox Wipe.  
    You better keep praying to the porcelain gods!! :smile:  My first trip owning this boat I found out where the duck bills where (disgusting enough, but when it's a "new to you" used boat, well...).  Even worse, we were on a 10-day trip in hot July and no spare duck bills to be had.  Spending all that time removing ice maker and crawling in there only to "clean" the old duck bills so it would work the rest of the trip.  yes, I always have spares now!!  I have a sign in my head that states "If you haven't eaten it, then it does not flush".  Our head gets a LOT of use and I've made up for all of LaRea's years of not having to mess with his vacuflush.  I've tested my vacuflush to actually hold pressure the entire winter!! (so far this year it's been holding for 4 weeks)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

@Dream_Inn Impressive holding power!

I did the duckbills, bellows, gaskets this summer. Synthetic grease, etc.
    Water stays in the bowl. Still have a very slight leak somewhere.

Interesting maintenance job - didn’t mind it at all. 

I'm in the same proverbial boat as @LaRea in terms of zero maintenance, but I'm sure my time is coming...
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    No vacuflush, electric pump head, one seal kit since new.

Seems vacuflushes are great - until there is an issue.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Many vacuflushes at my club and many problems. Very happy with my electric quite flush. No issues at all. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    Also replacement parts are much more expensive than other systems 
    VacuFlush does make a cool sound tho. Worth the extra $$$.

ASMR. lol

edited December 2022
    Got the timer and switch wired up. Now just need to cut the power at the pump and run it to the switch and back. 

Here’s a pic of the circuit. The timer works slick. 

Post edited by YYZRC on
    This is done, works awesome, and should have come this way from the factory. 

User presses the button and the vacuflush pump has power for 5 mins. Green light illuminates to tell you it’s ready to go, just like usual. 

very very cool!
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I think the timer is a cool thing, but it really is a work around for the real problem.  It should hold a vacuum for a very long time.
    Mine is now where it actually kept vacuum for several months over this past winter.  I check it now from when I leave on Sunday until the following Thursday or Friday and it comes on green.  That said, most of you know the fun I’ve had with my vacuflush.  They can be a real PITA

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

edited April 2023
    Agreed @Dream_Inn - and my vacuflush actually held vacuum all winter, too (Nov to April). But one day it won’t and now I have zero concerns about burning out the motor. 
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s the thing, they hold vacuum till the day they don’t. Last season I came back to the boat after a week with the pump running, I don’t know how long it was going for. It was the seal at the bowl.
    2008 330EC