Gimbel & Bellow replacement cost?

earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
I am wondering what the going rate may be to have a bravo 3 gimble bearing replaced along with new bellows and trim sender? I think I am in need to do some maintenance and I am wondering what this might cost to get done? Any insight would be appreciated.

Comments

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are doing the whole gamut, consider doing the shift cable at the same time. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    I am figuring on doing it I just forgot to list it. 

edited January 2023
    I paid $1800 CDN per drive last season to have bellows/gimbal/shift cable done. Parts and labor, not including sales tax. Not including trim senders as mine were good. 
    YYZRC, that makes me feel a little better I suppose. I am right at $2k which includes the trim sender which is about $250 since I need the digital version for the DTS and  a fluid change. Its still crazy expensive considering the parts are about $750 but it is what it is I suppose.
    I paid $250 CDN per drive for pressure test and drive lube change at the same time as the bellows were done. They quoted me about $400 CDN per drive for the trim senders (parts + labor) so I would say you were quoted exactly what I paid, maybe a bit less. 
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Consider labor is probably 100/150 per hour....it's not a hard job but it does take time. Has your coupler ever been changed? Your flux capacitor?
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Earl, i had the same done in 2018 to my 342s B3s including bearings, bellows, cable, senders and trim solenoids. Was $1500 per drive so $2k today per drive is right on. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    It's not a hard job until you get to snaking the shifter cable and trim sender wires around the back of the motor.  You've gotta have that Gumby flexibility.  
    That's why I was asking about the coupler...with the engine lifted forward all that stuff would be easier...
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    With the engine out of the way there's almost enough room to play twister down there 
    The coupler is good to go. I know I could easily tackle this project but I think I am going to just pay to have it done. That way I can concentrate on doling all the cleaning which is more therapy than a task for me. Thanks for the insight
    I tend to play for the things I can't do- there was the seal at the prop which I paid as if I screwed it up and ruined the out drive,  well no money would be saved there!
    I have tackled many a boat repair task but for the gimbal and bellows you need some specific tools to do the job. Alignment bar, took to extract and seat the gimbal bearing, tool to set the bellows, etc. Yes it would still be cheaper to buy knock off versions of all the Merc tools and DIY it but how much do you value your time (and how well does your blood clot)?
    YYZRC said:
    I have tackled many a boat repair task but for the gimbal and bellows you need some specific tools to do the job. Alignment bar, took to extract and seat the gimbal bearing, tool to set the bellows, etc. Yes it would still be cheaper to buy knock off versions of all the Merc tools and DIY it but how much do you value your time (and how well does your blood clot)?
    I agree and we all know the bearing will fail or the bellows will leak the day before vacation right?