Looking for Idea on a 342

raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
Ok all you 342 owners. Looking for an idea to replace the "glove box" on the back of the wrap around port side seat. The plastic on mine has really yellowed and looks horrible. I know this has been discussed before but I can't find it. Any help would be appreciated. TIA!
2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com

Comments

• GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    I kept mine as I find it handy for my deck plate keys, gloves, 30 amp test plug. I took it out and painted it with an aerosol plastic paint very close colour match to the seat back.
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    I've had great success with removing viny/plastic parts and repainting. I usually use adhesive promoter  before applying the primer. Seems to give a more durable finish.

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    It's getting brittle and I am afraid it will break taking it out. But I like the paint idea. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    You definitely don’t have much to lose by painting.  Keep putting that UV protection on it!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe look at having something custom made by boatoutfitters.com They can usually make whatever size you need. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    Mine is brittle also.  I filled the cracks with crazy glue before i took it out.  Then when it was out i did a little more to the cracks and spray painted.  This was a few years ago and has held up well since then.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did Rinker paint them at the factory?  Mine has been painted, and it's looking rough. 

Like @Dream_Inn said, I have nothing to lose, so I removed it today and applied the first coat of white spray paint.  It bubbled a little, so I'll need to sand and recoat at least a couple more times. 

I always hated that the shelf is too short for cans of spray sunblock unless you lay them sideways.  So I made a couple cutouts in the top of the housing (won't be visible after installation).  It also makes it easier to paint inside the shelf.  

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Neither my 310 or 342 had painted shelves.  Both were a lovely shade of sun kissed yellow. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    Not a great photo but shows mine after painting. I also capped the screws.
    I like the cutout idea.

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    LaRea said:
    Did Rinker paint them at the factory?  Mine has been painted, and it's looking rough. 

Knowing you're prior owner, I bet Al painted it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    For future reference.  They also have an Amazon store.

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme