Options

Water in gen oil learning experience

I used a bucket and hose to connect to kohler 5e to start out of water. I changed the oil and restarted. I left the bucket attached with water to start the next day for more maintenance. Luckily I pulled out the dip stick before restarting. It overflowed with tons of water. The next stroke of luck I decided to pull the plugs just in case of compressing water in the cylinder. Water shot out like a hose. I since reassembled and changed oil again, and is running fine. My guess is  because the bucket was higher than the motor it entered the motor threw exhaust port. Should that have happened or am I missing some type of check valve? 

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very good question..even if it made it in the cylinders through the exhaust, how would it get in the crankcase? I think of the crank case as sealed- I know it has a breather to relieve pressure but does not explain this! I will becwatching for answers..
  • Options
    ItzkenItzken Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    my 320 has water in the genny oil.   I've changed the oil 3 times and its still a milkshake.  
  • Options
    toolmaker312toolmaker312 Member Posts: 96
    I believe if it is orangy it is coolant. I am pretty sure mine was from leaving the seawater intake hose connected to the raised bucket. Mine seems fine now.