a little explosion at the water exhaust resoviar at starting kohler 5E

swedeswede Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
Tryid to start my kohler 5e today heard a little bang when starting.
Tryed again and same bang came from water exhaust is mixed
Sombody can help me? I dont want to start it again before i now the problem.
Swede.

Comments

• rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
    Could it have been a backfire?  Not sure what else it could be. Does it seem like it is trying to start?  Or just spinning over?  

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd suspect a backfire. Unless your raw water pump is not working and the muffler is completely dry.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • swedeswede Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    Probely backfire, what can i. do abort that?
    Did you have to crank the engine a lot during this?  

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Around 4-5seconds
    well, if it were me and I thought it was a backfire, I would keep cranking it to see if I could get it to start.  Maybe you have some crap fuel in your carb bowl and if you crank her over it will work it's way out.  A backfire could be from alot of things.  I find that most of the time I get them is because of bad fuel.  I had some water or something get into my tank this past winter and my engine and generator were both backfiring until I got that stuff all worked out of my tank.  It could also mean that you have a timing issue, but I would lean toward a fuel issue first.  If I could not get the generator to start after cranking, I would remove the cover and get access to the carb.  Then I would spray some gas in it with a spray bottle to see if you can get it to run off the spray bottle.  This tells you right away if you have a fuel problem or not.  of course, be careful working with gas in a bottle, particularly if your carb is backfiring, you don't want to blow up. 

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Cranking the genny a lot could cause ingestion of water into the cylinders.  At least this is what I have been told by Kohler experts (yes, more than 1).  I do agree it could be a fuel issue.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

HHHMMM, never heard that, but good to know.  I did a quick google on that and found a thread where they said that the muffler could fill up and then spill back into the exhaust manifold and therefore into the cylinders.  I have personally spent quite a bit of time cranking my Kohler in situations where I was trying to troubleshoot an issue.  I usually do it in short busts as to not heat up and damage the starter.  I bet you this would only occur if you cranked and cranked and cranked on it without stopping. 

If your anti siphon valve/loop is correct you should not get the water into the engine I would think from over cranking?

PC BYC, Holland, MI

Maybe i have found the problem , looks like it gets too much gas ??

Can it be to much fuel in the exhaust why its backfire?

some help?

Is the choke the problem?

may be somthing else?

I would agree on the choke needing adjustment also.  I have to tweek mine all the time.  But how do you know it is getting too much gas?  Were you able to get it started?  If you feel it is flooding and won't start, again, take the cover off and get access to the carb and you will be able to see if the choke is open or closed, and you can probably hold it open if necessary to see if it starts then.  Let us know.   

Looks like fuel in the exhaust on the water. 
    Then i closed the fuel and run it on the starter a few times and it started no up and down on the rpm. Until fuelstop. Tested again and same result. 
    Coolant water was much cleaner and no smoke from the exhaust. 
    If the choke is off that bad to let raw fuel into the exhaust, it must run horribly. Change the plugs, clean the carb and anti-diesel valve too.  I'd suspect a stuck float.  The 5e will run on one cylinder (not under a load).

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Ok
    Thanks for all answers 
    Picks up the boat for the winter make some service under the winter. 
    It was not a backfire through the carb you heard?  If it is really from the exhaust, is the water pump working: impeller and/or the coupling (see other recent thread by Rasbury).

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    I think I would crank it and try to get it started.  Timing being off on a 2-cyl would be odd, but not impossible.  Was it running fine before this or have you been having issues with it?

PC BYC, Holland, MI

BD , I was cleaning the carb and its just ran fine after that.

It stop for an overheating and it was the famuos airlock , now its runs fin about 10 hours.