Options

Anchor Lift Bow Roller

Bcoe55Bcoe55 Member Posts: 3
edited May 2013 in Rinker Support Q&A
Hello

I have damaged my Anchor Lift and Bow Roller on our 2009 260 EC and need to replace it.  I have the replacement part but am having difficulties removing the old one. The 4 screws loosened but would not come out and will not re tighten. There appears to be some kind of contact material also used to glue it down.  This puppy is staying put and I bet the bow of the boat would be ripped off before it came off. Anyway, anyone have any info on how to remove it? Heat? 

Many Thanks

Ben
Post edited by Babyboomer on

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is like my 342, the bolts are below and gooed over with sealant. Somehow you have to get to the nut and hold it. At best the used caulk on the SS roller assy, light heat will break the seal.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Bcoe55Bcoe55 Member Posts: 3

Dear Black Diamond

Thank you for the information.  I will probably have to try and reach the bolts through where the anchor line is stored. Like to know what they used to glue this down, man its strong. Will try gently using a torch to see if that works. Bigger project than what I thought but I guess that is the way these things usually work.

Many Thanks

Ben

• Options
    Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Member Posts: 281 admin
    Always seems to work out that way, Ben!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just go light on the heat. Caulk will break free pretty easy from the metal.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be very careful when removing that anchor roller. I was in a good marine facility two years ago and the guys were trying to remove one from a Rinker. They had gone through the front berth access port to remove all the hardware and applied heat. Two big guys were on ladders and put some heave into it. When it broke free with a loud pop it lifted gelcoat off all around the roller about an inch to the sides and down into the fibreglass base. An older mechanic came along and told them they should have used solvent and a couple of those thin flat drywall "knives" to work at it slowly. My eyes were popping out of my head and òld guy said Rinker really puts them on right and he thought the sealant might be sikaflex or one of the high hold 3M products. Please take your time - I wish I had a pictrure to show you, it would definately cause you to be careful!
  • Options
    macgyvermacgyver Member Posts: 3
    1994 Rinker 280, had a problem in wind trying to haul anchor, rode would get wedged between roller frame and retainer hoop at sides. Wanted to remove roller to take to shop for modifications. Loosened one fastener, found a bolt not a screw, tried to tighten, couldn't. Took pictures in anchor locker (as couldn't see inside), found nuts on bolts, not secured in gelcoat, no plate with welded nuts, useless design.  Had a new retainer hoop fabricated to fit over bolt through roller while on boat, solved problem. Suggest not removing roller, until you have a method to install nuts onto roller bolts 4 ft inside anchor locker when you can't see what you're doing, after determining how to remove the roller in the first place.  Then patent the fix, make millions.