GPS replacement

golfdoggolfdog Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
Hello All,
I have a 2003, FV342.
I'm sitting here killing time checking boat websites and came up with the idea of replacing the small Lowrance GPS that came with the boat. I have a Lowrance HDS 8 installed in the lower area of the dash and would like to put a Lowrance HDS 5 in the upper pod where the old small GPS currently is. Does anyone know the dimensions of the upper pod where the small GPS are located. I won't be down to the boat for a while to measure and am wondering if there is room to put a HDS 5 in that spot. Thanks Jerry.

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have the dimensions, but maybe you can estimate it from this photo.  I had a Simrad AP11 in that spot, which was 4.3 H x 4.3 W X 0.7 in D.  It was mounted in a Starboard plate.  The Lowrance HDS 5 is  5.8” H x 7.3” W x 4” D, so that might be a tight squeeze.  You could always use Starboard like my installer did.

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    The previous owner of my 342 put an HDS 5 in the upper spot.  It is a bit bigger than the original opening.   The installer had to get a little creative, but it looks good.  I'm used to having a Garmin and wanted to put a 740 in the upper spot but it was going to be a little too big.  

So I've been learning the Lowrance interface.  One thing I need to figure out is how to get tracks to start new when the unit is powered on.  I loaded the track info for the year into Insight Planner and was disappointed to see it made the entire year into 1 long track.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• golfdoggolfdog Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    Hey Stodge do you have any pictures of the HDS 5 on your boat?  
    As far as the tracks your talking about I'm not sure I can help you much. I don't do a lot of trip planning, I generally go to the sames areas. 

• DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

On my 342, I have a Lowrance Global Map 3300 in that spot and it fills the whole pod. The dimensions are 6 3/4 wide X 5 3/8 high. Here is a pic...

No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll poke around.  Otherwise it will be spring time when the shrink comes off. 

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

X

Post edited by Michael T on