What is your opinion on this Winter Cover?

06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
Previous owner contacted me today with this cover.  He said he was going to keep the cover for his new boat but doesn't fit.  Now offering to me for $900.  He says its custom for the boat but doesn't look like agreat fit to me.  Never owned a cover so I'm not sure how great it is.  Should have came with the freaking  boat.

Patrick
06 Rinker 270

Comments

• bigal6030bigal6030 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
    I have the same boat and could not find a winter cover that was not custom made for that boat. I priced out a custom Fisher Canvass cover but at $1700 I passed. So I removed my Bimini tops, built a wooden frame and tarped in the cockpit area. I used a heavy duty 20'x20' tarp. It looks good, will support a heavy snow fall and protect the boat. Cost about $100 bucks, time about 2 hours. Next year I plan on doing a similar cover but will customize the tarp and framing for a better, faster fit and install. I would make the guy an offer on the cover it looks good and with a little adjustments it can be tightened up. You will not find one cheaper unless you do it yourself. I would be interested for $400 bucks.

Big Al - 2006 - 270 Express Crusier

Home port: Hammond Ind.

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Yeah, I agree that half the price and it'd be worth it, cause it is not custom. I am one that has always had a custom cover and will say there are many benefits.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks to me that he doesn't have it tied to tight. I wouldn't mind having a cover like that and I agree that it should have come with the boat. I would offer them $600 for it and see if he bites. Having a cover saves you a ton of time at the end of the season. Where I am at, shrink wrap is about $350 for the same size boat that you have. After 3 seasons of shrink wrap, it pays for itself. I am not a fan of tarping a boat. If it is windy where you are storing the boat, it has to be checked every few weeks to make sure it didn't tear after a wind storm. If it does, then you have to start over... Right now, I store my boat inside. Unfortunately the place where I store it is up for sale and I probably won't be back there next winter. At that point I will weigh the pros and cons on a custom cover or shrink.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • BritinusaBritinusa Member Posts: 306 ✭✭
    Looks like a nice cover, for the right price are those white tabs loops? looks like it isn't tied town.

• 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Do you all agree it's not custom?  He is telling me that it is custom and someone came out to measure it.  Does not look very form fitting but you can see that it's not completely tied down.  Also I do not like that the blue hull is not completely covered. 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks custom to me from the picture. It isn't a Fisher cover, but it looks nice. If you wanted it to cover the rest of the blue, you could have a canvas shop add some pieces to the bottom of it.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • bigal6030bigal6030 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
    It most likely is custom. I can not find any "off the shelf" covers for the 270. Especially if you have an arch. So far my tarp is holding up fine it actually wraps completely around and under the hull. Plus the top of the cockpit is plywood so I get no sags. I would love to order a Fisher Canvass cover maybe next winter.

Big Al - 2006 - 270 Express Crusier

Home port: Hammond Ind.

• golfdoggolfdog Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    It looks like a nice cover. I would make a fairly low offer and see what he says. He is the one holding a cover that doesn't fit his boat. Offer him $350-400, all he can say is no. You can always raise your offer if you want.  Jerry
    I offered $400 and he said bottom dollar is $700.  Still negotiating, let you know what I get it for.  Appreciate the help everyone. 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    I pay about $500 to shrink wrap for 1 winter. At $700 I would not take the chance of losing this cover for a few bucks. Go for it..........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    Considering what we pay for shrink wrapping that sounds like a good deal, I just paid $450 to shrink wrap.
    I'm sure it'd be nice to have it on right now with the little bit of snow (although you may not be getting it down there).  From the pics, it looks like you got it at my current marina (South River).  Good luck with the purchase, and yes, it should've just came with the boat.

• Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015

Just have to ask.. but what size boats are you guys paying $500 for a shrink job for?  My 260 (28'10" OL, 8'6" beam, no arch) is $175, with "custom" 2x4s to "tent" it on the bow and in the cockpit.  I was going to buy a cover, but at that price...

Plus, the shipping cover that Rinker uses (which I will get to keep when it's shipped back) is 100% custom fit, has the under tie loops, and is at least twice as thick as any tarp I have seen.  I'm going to use that (marina I'm at is going to let me keep it).  I don't know why more marina's don't just remove those shipping covers and keep them for the customer instead of cutting them up (it's heavy duty plastic, non-shrink material).  ???  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

Mine is a 28ft 8'6" beam, with 2 supports and 4 vents plus the door, $450, but they came to my home where i winter the boat.
    Mike_G, I know someone at my marina that had that shipping cover from their new 2000 340 Rinker until last year.  Used it thru many rough winters until it finally ripped.

made a deal of $500.  Still **** that it did come with the boat but I put that aside as it will save me thousands down the road.  Its ok though, I made off with a steal on the boat so I dont feel so bad :) 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    That's great.  You will be happy to have it!

You need to bring that boat to our 10th Annual Chesapeake Rendezvous this year!

• Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    Thing that most people don't look at is the air circulation. Shrink wrap includes vents by which your boat breathes. If you wrap it up air tight expect to clean some mold on your boat in the spring unless you put air vents on it. I get my boat shrink wrapped every year because once mold is in a boat it is almost impossible to remove. We pay > $6.40 / gal for fuel up here so I consider the cost of shrink wrap just another fill up.
    I've used custom covers for 10 winters now and never a problem with mildew.  They always have vents installed and I make sure to check my damprid throughout the winter. 

I have heard about the mold issues with covers.  Maybe I can have vents installed in the cover?  Also possibility of leaving a window cracked for some air flow.  Thoughts?  I will check on boat regularly, remove cover for a few hours every so often.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    Dream_Inn said:
    You need to bring that boat to our 10th Annual Chesapeake Rendezvous this year!
    Absolutely, when and where?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stiil Pond. All the way up the bay
    Handy is right. Just a bit south of Sassafras.  You make it once and you will come back next year. The theme for this year is Christmas in July. Family oriented, but when it gets dark, all lets loose. I'll be posting the topic soon, but take a look at our last few years.

Sounds like a blast.  Do most boat in if able or drive? 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    We boat in and raft together for the weekend.  We did have one fly in last year with one of those hydroplanes.

Looking forward to it.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Great deal on the cover