SOLD - Slightly Used Fisher Winter Storage Cover for 2009 Rinker 280 Express Cruiser

coverguycoverguy Member Posts: 122 ✭✭
This custom-made Fisher Winter Storage Cover was made for a 2009 Rinker 280Ec with arch and bow rail. It has a radar pocket and transom zipper door. It was used 5 seasons and stored at Fisher Canvas every year, where it was inspected and 2 rips repaired by Fisher.
New today. it would be approx. $2112.00.
Make me an offer, I will wheel and deal to find this cover a good home.

Darren Fitzgerald
darren@pmwinterboatcovers.com
856-857-7475
PM Winter Boat Covers
www.pmwinterboatcovers.com
OEM Rinker Canvas
Post edited by coverguy on

Comments

• coverguycoverguy Member Posts: 122 ✭✭
    Darren Fitzgerald
    856-857-7475
    PM Winter Boat Covers
    OEM Rinker Canvas
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darren, what does Fisher recommend to maintain the water repellent? Do they apply at the factory?
    edited February 2015
    You never have to reapply any type of water repellent to your Fisher boat cover. Unless you clean it with bleach or a harsh chemical. Then you could use 303 products, like the Fabric Guard. Apply it while the cover is on the boat.
    Darren Fitzgerald
    856-857-7475
    PM Winter Boat Covers
    OEM Rinker Canvas
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would I have to build a structure every winter to keep the cover from sagging? I am seriously considering this since the place where I store my 280EC is for sale and I will have to store my boat outdoors starting next fall...
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    Yes, you would have to build a support system to support the cover in the bow area.
    Darren Fitzgerald
    856-857-7475
    PM Winter Boat Covers
    OEM Rinker Canvas
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    edited February 2015

Yes, you would need a structure.

This is under my current one on my 400.  I had a fischer cover on my 310 and loved it!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Dream_Inn, thank you for the picture.
    Darren Fitzgerald
    856-857-7475
    PM Winter Boat Covers
    OEM Rinker Canvas
    No problem.  Here is one of the bracing I used on my 310.

So you used 2" PVC pipe glued together and 1" PVC pipe for the side braces. Toilet flanges for the feet. Good job!!!
    Go Steelers!!!
    seems like a pretty easy system to put together. Cableguy Greg, interested in the cover?

Darren Fitzgerald
    856-857-7475
    PM Winter Boat Covers
    OEM Rinker Canvas
    Cable, yes that is correct.  I have changed it since the picture on my 400 (blue picture).  I'm now using mostly 2 inch everywhere since the span is a bit more than it was on my 310.  All of the 'T's were glued to one of the pieces and then I use duct tape to hold other ends since it has to come back apart in the spring.  First year allow a couple hours to build and have extra pieces (that you can always take back, but allow for that oops, dropped in the water...well, if you are doing on a lift).  I get comments all the time about it and how great it is.  I really enjoy going down in the middle of the winter and get inside, take my jacket off and get some things done.  the Fischer does not allow much light in though compared to what I now have, but a couple fluorescent lights would do the trick.

coverguy said:
    seems like a pretty easy system to put together. Cableguy Greg, interested in the cover?

Yes, very interested...
    Go Steelers!!!
    Cover has been sold. Thank you everyone for your interest. I am looking around for more slightly used Rinker covers so keep an eye on this site.
    Darren Fitzgerald
    856-857-7475
    PM Winter Boat Covers
    OEM Rinker Canvas
    Got my frame built. Cover goes on Saturday provided it isn't raining. 

Go Steelers!!!

Greg, if you want, you can take "T"s and glue on the ends where they meet the rail and then cut a slit and they will go right over the rail.  You can also do it at the bow and the arch.  Here are a couple pics from my prior 310 (but I've done the same with my 400).  Also another idea for the base which was some drain thing.  Just more ideas, but whatever works to keep the snow off.

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I "take my hat off" to you guys. That's really cool engineering but looks like a lot of work. I'm happy to just have it rolled into a covered storage!
    Dream, I will have to make a few mods with the T's. I like that better than what I did. MT, I had mine in covered storage the past 10 years, one with the current 280 and nine with my 232. The storage place was a 45 minute tow from the marina. On the way last fall, I got caught in freezing rain and the state police shut the interstate down. It was an ugly trip. On the way back to the marina in the spring, a car rear ended someone right in front of me in the interstate at 70 MPH. I almost had a very bad accident along with a mess in my pants. I needed a break. I don't like her being outside, but covered she should be fine. She is on a security camera, so I can check on her 24/7. 
    Go Steelers!!!
    Awesome pics of how to frame the bow area of a boat. Mind if I use them when someone asked me how to do it right?
    Darren Fitzgerald
    856-857-7475
    PM Winter Boat Covers
    OEM Rinker Canvas

I don't mind you using my pictures.  I can look to see if I have any of my current setup for the 400.  Greg's are interesting too with the extra support halfway out to the edge.  I may have to think about that for next year.

Greg, one other thing I've started doing each year is taping the joints with duct tape.  Believe it or not, no matter how tight, with lots of wind those joints can work loose.  But with just a little tape, they stay put.  I don't blame you after last year for wanting to stay put.  I think you'll be pretty pleased.

MT, after the first year of building it, it doesn't take very long to set up or take down.  The trick is to have a second person hand each piece to you so you don't drop them (cause for me they'd go in the drink and be gone - Been there done that, twice).  & losing the piece is no big deal, but a real pain if you didn't bring extra with you or the tools to make it. (the last two years I bring an extra piece with tools - guarantee I don't drop them :-) )

You can use my pictures also. Dream, I used the saddle T for the support, that way they can be adjusted. I plan on using duct tape at the joints per your advice. I need to pick up a roll of heavy duty because the stuff I was using wasn't very sticky. I found out that schedule 40 waterline connections fit the drain line that I used. There are some different options for the joints. 
    Go Steelers!!!
    Cover is on. Might need support in the back.

Go Steelers!!!
    I would definitely support that aft section. I can see that filling with snow/water.
    In the picture you don't have the back tied yet.  I'd think if it is tied tight you wouldn't need any aft support.  But it certainly wouldn't hurt and may help the cover from stretching.  She looks good!  Not sure what you mean by saddle T, I'll have to look it up.

I don't think you'd ever be able to tie that cover tight enough to be safe from snow/water loads. I'd either put a center pole with a very wide top to spread the load, a pipe running from the arch to the aft or a center arch-type support. I have seen too many torn covers. It would sure be a pain to have to deal with a load of snow in your cockpit and a torn cover at ten below!
    While I'm not disagreeing, my 310 (in the pics) had the forward leaning arch as well & I know in a 3 day period had 4 feet of snow and no issues with no aft support.  But, it certainly wouldn't take much for one rear support.

• MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn said:

Greg, one other thing I've started doing each year is taping the joints with duct tape.  Believe it or not, no matter how tight, with lots of wind those joints can work loose.  But with just a little tape, they stay put.  I don't blame you after last year for wanting to stay put.  I think you'll be pretty pleased.

Thank you for sharing these pics.  I can see this project in my future.  You mentioned using duct tape at the joints.  Did you consider drilling a hole where the pipe and coupler overlap and using a pin or screw to keep the two pieces together?  I bet common nails would make good pins for something like this.

MDboater
    MD, that is a good idea as well.  Probably a bolt all the way thru would work well.  I may have to consider that next year.  I guess the only concern would be stress and cracking on it, but I don't think that would happen.  Now, the 'rib' pieces that go out to the rails would still need tape.  Well, I do have some larger ones that connect with "T"s, so those could be bolted.  But the ones that just go into a drilled hole on the main centerline couldn't.  Great idea though!

Now that spring is upon us, what is the best way to remove my Fisher cover? Roll it from side to side or from back to front? I hope to be removing it in the next week or so provided the temps stay high. I would consider this weekend, but 46 seems a little chilly to be removing a cover.
    Go Steelers!!!

Flip the sides in and then roll front to back.  And as far as moving and storing, a big new trash can on wheels makes it simple.  Just make sure it is completely dry when you remove it.