rinker 276 br engine questions

kram925kram925 Member Posts: 9
I am currently looking to pick up a new 276 br  the dealer has one in stock with a 350 mag for a motor he tells me this boat with this engine package will do 47mph.. Im not sure If  I believe him I have read on a few reivews that it is closer to 40 mph.. I was asking about getting one with a 8.2 big block but they are trying to talk me out of it . Also its a lot more money for the larger engine package.  the boat itself is a lot of money and I just don't want to make the wrong move and be disappointed.. Does anyone have one of these and what are you seeing for speed ??? any info would be greatly appreciated..

Comments

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    well, if 40mph is not enough, then you should go with the larger engine.  As many have said, never heard anyone say they should not have bought the larger engine.  Sorry, I don't have the actual numbers, but hopefully someone here will.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• cettialpha6cettialpha6 Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
     I am currently looking to pick up a new 276 br the dealer has one in stock with a 350 mag for a motor he tells me this boat with this engine package will do 47mph.. Im not sure If I believe him I have read on a few reivews that it is closer to 40 mph.. I was asking about getting one with a 8.2 big block but they are trying to talk me out of it . Also its a lot more money for the larger engine package. the boat itself is a lot of money and I just don't want to make the wrong move and be disappointed.. Does anyone have one of these and what are you seeing for speed ??? any info would be greatly appreciated..

I have the 246BR w/ 350 mag (320hp) and at WOT will do 50 to 53 on a calm lake with two adults. I hardly ever run WOT and usually run 35-40. The 276 is a big BR and weighs more than 1000 lbs over the 246BR, therefore I would favor the big block with the weight of 2 or more adults and kids and gear (+ water and gas).  Nothing more worthless than a new under powered boat. Of course the big block is big bucks especially if its just a Ricki Bobbi thing "I just want to go fast". Good luck with your new boat. Just my two cents .....
    Art
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much more is the big block? Also, consider the extra room the larger motor will take up. Will that be hard to service? The dealer always trys to push the inventory and dont care how fast the boat goes. Of course you can always do a sea trial, right?
  • luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    So true I have to agree with Handyman,  Do a sea trial if tis not Fast enough that will answer your question  
  • JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I've got a 276 Cuddy with the 350 mag and bravo 3. Mine will hit 45 mph with 1/2 tank and 3 on board in nearly perfect conditions with a clean bottom.

It'll cruise at 27-32mph at 3400-3800 rpm again depending on conditions. If I we're to do it again I would NOT get the big block. Based on the reviews on similar sized boats it's only worth like 5mph too speed and cruising. It weighs a lot more and overall gets slightly worse gas mileage. I MAYBE would consider the 377 Mag or the 380+hp small block based Volvo setups. However, there's a really steep price premium (like $10k), so that's a LOT of boat drinks and other upgrades you can do.

I've had 6 adults plus coolers and gear on board, and I popped it up on plane in 3-4' of water very quickly and with barely stirring the bottom.

In hindsight I wish I spent the extra $2k for the 377, just so that I could say it was an "upgrade", but really that's the only reason. Now I think it's a $5k option or so.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man just spend the money and get the new Merc Diesel. You could pull 6 skiers with that baby!
  • luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it was me, I would get it with at least the 377 MAG and a Bravo 3, provided that you can afford it. I would take Joe's advice since he has a 276cc. The bow rider should be a little lighter than the cuddy, so that might gain you a MPH or two.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    On the flip side, I've got the 496 in our 276. Can't imagine being without it. Best features of the boat are the sport arch, motor & windlass......
    BTW: the engine compartment is huge on the 276. Wouldn't slightly matter what engine combo is in there.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • taktectaktec Member Posts: 1
    I have a 276 350 MAG Bravo3 from new and it runs just fine (now only 125Hrs, no problems at all). Max speed 73Km/hr with clean boat on good water, 2 Pax onboard.
    73kph = 45mph, so identical to mine.

Mattie whats your typical cruise & top speed mph & rpm?
    edited March 2015
    3,000 rpm, 27-32mph cruise is comfortable. Had 55 on gps once. Pretty sure cruising speeds would be similar based on hull design. Really where the big block is useful - is tubing/skiing, etc. it works effortlessly. Also, just putzin around. Fuel burn doesn't seem noticeable
    55mph top speed is impressive for a single. Any idea on GPH cruising or MPG?

Mine gets right around 3-3.5mpg and ~ 8-10GPH at cruise speeds.
    edited April 2015
    Never calc'd the miles per gallon. Only time I notice "cost" is when kids are tubing etc. But it performs flawlessly for that.

Hey, I remember seeing a nice black 276 - motor by us at Jobbie Nooner last year, north east end of Gull Island. That you?